The Good Life and Living Well

To Students in Professor Fried’s Spring Semester Reading Group: The Good Life and Living Well and those on the waiting list: I have now posted a syllabus on the course website. We will meet first on January 30 and then for five more consecutive sessions every week after that. It has been my experience that this works better than meeting every other week, because we maintain a sense of continuity ande of group intimacy. I would very much hope that those of you who are admitted to the Group at the first session will stay with it, because it would be a bit disruptive to have a change in the cast of characters after we have gotten under way. To help you make that commitment I invite you to visit with me. I will be in my office from the first of the year through January 17. Also in order to make sure that everyone is drawn into the conversation I shall ask two of you to meet with me an hour before each session so that we can plot a way into the session together. I look forward to volunteers for the first session. The syllabus should give you a good idea of the kind of thing we will be doing. Jeff Smith, who is the subject of the NPR segment for the first session—now a professor at The New School in New York—will join us for either the first or the second session.