Apply for the Spring 2014 Harvard Graduate School Leadership Institute

HGSLI Program Overview

Housed at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Center for Public Leadership, the Harvard Graduate School Leadership Institute (HGSLI) is a leadership development program for graduate students across Harvard. Each HGSLI cohort is limited to 30 students and provides an opportunity to establish an intimate cross-Harvard network.

HGSLI is semester-long program where Fellows receive leadership training informed by the model of the Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO), and focused on authentic leadership development, growth, and personal reflection.

According to past participants, this is an intense and deeply rewarding program that is often their most meaningful experience at Harvard. Weekly meetings and a weekend retreat build strong friendships, a leadership toolkit, and a peer network that continues long after the HGSLI program is over.

Testimonials by past Fellows include:

“HGSLI connected me to a group of extraordinary Harvard students, many of whom I’d never have met, and threw me into the deep end of leadership learning. I’ve had authentic, meaningful conversations that have taught me more about myself and others than most of my classes to date.”

“HGSLI is one of the best things I’ve done in my graduate career at Harvard.”

“HGSLI was the first time I really got put on a pedestal and had 4 other people asking me questions to get to the real root of what I was struggling with.  It taught humility, openness, and was constructive.  A fear removing experience.”

Application Process

The application deadline is 12:00 noon EST on Friday, February 7. The application includes three short questions and a resume submission. Harvard graduate students pursuing degrees from all schools are invited to apply.

To apply, please visit this link: https://harvard.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6WObDSrlETk2bBP.

Twenty minute interviews will be held for select applicants on Tuesday, February 11 through  Saturday, February 15. You will be contacted no later than Monday, February 17 regarding your final admission status.

Program Requirements

In order to build a strong and cohesive group, 100% attendance at all Tuesday sessions and the weekend retreat is required. Please do not apply if you cannot make this commitment.

Program Dates

Retreat

Friday, February 21 (5:30pm) – Sunday, February 23 (3:30pm)

The retreat is held on Cape Cod. Transportation, housing and meals are all included however Fellows are asked to contribute $50 to help defray retreat costs.

Tuesday Sessions

All sessions run from 6:30-9:30pm at the Center for Public Leadership at the Harvard Kennedy School. Dinner is provided at each session. Session dates are as follows:

Tuesday, March 4

Tuesday, March 11

Tuesday, March 25

Tuesday, April 1

Tuesday, April 8

Tuesday, April 15

Tuesday, April 22

Tuesday, April 29

There may be additional optional events hosted with alumni during the semester. HGSLI has an active alumni body and graduated Fellows engage in events with speakers, networking, and training.

For more information, contact Erika Carlsen at Erika_Carlsen@mail.harvard.edu or visit our website at www.hgsli.com.