Twitter Explained (1 funny, 1 serious)

Thanks to the Wired GC for finding this one.

[kml_flashembed movie="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:219519" width="360" height="301" wmode="transparent" /]

That pretty much says it all. My own experience with Twitter is that I’ve been on it for a few months and haven’t really figured out a good way to use it. The only benefit I have found so far is to drive some “uninterested traffic” to some of my web projects. So, then, what’s the benefit? Exactly. However, I do believe that sometimes you just have to jump into/onto these platforms and figure them out as you go. After being on for a while now, this week I feel I am reaching a threshold of sorts, a critical mass thing, or a tipping point… Each time I tweet this week, I’m getting more and more followers. Or maybe it’s just the hysteria.

All this being said… follow me on Twitter!

Updated March 7: Carolyn Elefant does a much more thoughtful job describing Twitter in her post: To Twitter or Not To Twitter? That Is the Question for Lawyers

See also: An older funny Jon Stewart bit about Blogs on TV.

Share this post...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someone
Posted in Marketing, New Media / Internet
3 comments on “Twitter Explained (1 funny, 1 serious)
  1. Rich Naran says:

A nice balance as I was looking for links to use for reference. This was a helpful resource.

2. Ian Brodie says:

Hi Amy,

I’ve found twitter useful from a number of perspectives:

1) If you have a tarrgeted followership – i.e. one that’s interested in what you have to say – then it can drive very relevant traffic to your site. I “tweet” (hate that word) a lot of links and ideas for business development in professional services and I follow primarily people who have shown they are interested in those topics (and largely, they follow me back). When I tweet one of my own links my stats show they stay around longer on my site an dlook at more pages than vistors from either google or other social media.

2) You can make direct connections to people you would never be able to get throught to otherwise – sometimes some very senior folks. It all depends on whether the people you want to connect with are actually on twitter and your ability to find them (e.g. with twitter search, twellow or one of the other twitter directories).

3) If you actually read your twitterstream, you get notified of lots of interesting resources you’d never have found otherwise. I found the article on boosting lateral integration via your tweet for example. On the other hand findign out you’d bought a new ski helmet didn’t help me much – but it did help to put a human behind the text.

Ian

3. It took me a while to figure out what twitter is all about. Just like anything you have to use it alot to get the hang of it.

I have found its really good for making observations and linking to blogs or for seeing what people think about a certain subject.

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Twitter Explained (1 funny, 1 serious)"
  1. […] • Twitter Explained (1 funny, 1 serious) March 2009 – My blog post linking to a funny video from the Daily Show about Twitter and Social Media (meant for a laugh), and a more serious post from Carol Elefant: To Twitter or Not To Twitter? That Is the Question for Lawyers… […]