education

When I was in high school, I thought education was simply about learning as much as you could; that is, maximizing what you could memorize from teachers and your textbook. In the end, that’s what you were tested on. How well you memorized, and, to the slightest degree, how you could apply that knowledge.

But college is proving quite the different endeavor. It’s not so much about memorizing trivial details–though that certainly lends interest into many subject matters, in my opinion–but about the broader thought process. I can’t believe how much I’m learning to think, without realizing it, and how much more there is for me to expand. Our minds are like balloons that never reach a maximum inner pressure; somehow, they just keep expanding.

And someone told me today that our education, indeed our upwards of $42000 tuition, is not for learning information, but meeting people and experiencing things only Harvard can provide. And in the end, it’s up to us to make our personal and social and even academic privileges worth the hefty price.