Vacation

I recently spent 2 wonderful days in New Hampshire at an inn that is a working farm.  Rada was transported milking cows, feeding goats, holding bunnies and gathering eggs.

She also deeply enjoyed running around the dining room with the other guests under 5. We all enjoyed the three healthy meals that were prepared and served at our table every day.

But there was much more: a hay jumping session, sledding, ice skating on the pond, an indoor swimming pool, storytelling by the wood stove, and a hayride in the woods. One would think we were running from activity to activity, but it was very relaxed, with plenty of time to sleep long hours away from the phone, car, and computer.

The people we went with were a like-minded group of moms whose children were born in the same country or a country near to where Rada was born.

The only drawback to the weekend was the realization, upon returning home, that my clothes reeked of cow manure and chicken urine. I did not think friends and co-workers would find this rustic or charming. Pretty much everything had to be thrown in the washer, including coats, scarves, gloves, and hats.

Interestingly, despite the lure of real udders, and the thrill of watching cows poop a mere 3 feet from where one stood, the crowning joy of the weekend for Rada was when I broke down and bought her an emerald ring. It cost $2.95 and is one serious rock.

1. Mary | February 16, 2006 at 7:38 am | Permalink

This sounds like a wonderful get away! Reminds me of visiting my great uncle on his farm in Ireland!

And it sounds like such a wonderful group to do this with! How did you hook up with them?

2. Homa | February 16, 2006 at 10:44 am | Permalink

It looks like Her Ladyship is a doing a mighty job at the farm. Keep it up Cheek-a-dee. Homa xox