genius

One of the kids in Rada’s pre-school class plays chess with the teachers. Rada has been hanging out on the sidelines, watching the game.

Last weekend she asked me to get her ‘chest’. Somewhat dubious, but nonetheless delighted, I bought her a chess set.

And we proceeded to play.

chess.jpg:

Very soon it was clear she knew the rules: pawns go forward and back one square, except on the first move when they can go two. And pawns go cross-wise to capture someone. Kings only move one space, and Rooks slide everywhere cross-wise, etc.

I was thrilled. My daughter IS a genius! I knew it all along. We played a few moves. I captured her Queen, she took a few of my pawns and Rooks. Then, apparently, her King became lonely for his captured Queen and she had them visit with each other…. there was much chit-chat and hugs exchanged between the two chess pieces.

Gently, I tried to get her to re-focus on the game, but she noticed the Rooks were all gathered on her side of the board. She immediately organized a reunion. All the Rooks said hello to each other and there was more chit-chat…

I sighed.  

chess2.jpg:

The genius had turned socialite.