Change

My daughter is morphing and I don’t like it.

Until recently, I had her figured out, pigeon holed. We had our routine: snacks, reading, the video, playing with stuffed animals, dinner, fun in the bathtub, more stories, and then to bed.

But recently she has started to change. Her little mind is developping. She’s turning into more of her own person. She wants a say in scheduling the day’s activities. She exercises veto power in choices of babysitters.  I find myself deep in negotiations with her on what she gets served for dinner. And she makes compelling arguments for a later bedtime.

I’m not sure I like it. I had her pegged at 5 years old. I had her down pat. And now she’s a whole new person; its like starting all over again.

I really liked her the way she was. Why is she rocking the boat?

Oh I know, I know. This is just the beginning. She’s going to turn into several more different (and probably interesting) people before she finally settles into adulthood. But oh my, it is exhausting.  I had no idea. Its hard to keep up with her.

1. yishai boasson | May 26, 2006 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

hi there 🙂
    i feel as almost uninvitedly invading this very private blog…
    it’s tricky, because they are really really smart, way beyond their five years. it is so much fun to connect with them on that sophisticated level. in fact, being where we are, i have to admit these five year old kids are much smarter than many people with fancy degrees and tenure, and often much more intellectually challenging. spending a day with a very bright kid is, well, you know what it’s like.
    and then she cries. or is being childish. or behaves like a five year-old. and i have to remind myself (or be reminded) that she is five.
    btw, we have beta food and water treatment drops, left over after our very old betta flushed away. while your betta has many names, our betta’s name was Many 🙂
    remind me to get those over to you

2. Molly | May 27, 2006 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Yishai,
    Thanks so much for dropping by! And just one day after Ido has come into the world, too. Soon you and Ayalet will have two little brains running around the apartment 🙂

I believe I stumbled on your blog once; I should go back and visit again.