Niri Pinky-Ming

There is a new member of the household.

Rada-PinkyMing.jpg

Niri Pinky-Ming, a Betta fish, has taken up residence in the living room. Originally puddle-dwellers, Bettas are renowned for being hard to kill, which is just our kind of fish. They’re low-maintenance, too: no bubbles, filters, or live plants required. 

close-up.jpg

Isn’t s/he beautiful?

bowl-cleaning.jpg

Niri Pinky-Ming had his/her first bowl cleaning last weekend. Rada helped ladle out the dirty water and add more clean water.

According to Rada, Niri Pinky-Ming’s name actually changes depending on the time of day. It is Niri Pinky-Ming in the morning, Gaia Pinky-Ming in the afternoon, and Casey Pinky-Ming in the evening. As Rada said this, I nodded pleasantly, thinking, “in your dreams”.

1. Mary | May 25, 2006 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Very smart move on choosing a “hard to kill” fish. Growing up, the ONLY pet we were allowed were gold fish. Now, wouldn’t you think mom and dad would have tired of hearing us cry regularly as those suckers have about a two week life span!?!? :-{

2. Annette Stevans | March 28, 2008 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

My first fish was a betta as well. I was 7. My sister was 4 and had this idea that it needed a bath. So one morning I awoke to a soapy fish bowl and of course a dead fish.