on my own

Every year my daughter and I go to a picnic hosted by the social worker who helped my daughter and I find each other. Its a big gathering with lots of families. And there are, naturally, lots of kids.

We’ve been to this picnic 3 years in a row. The first year we went, Rada was still in her ‘everything is mine and the world revolves around me’ mode. I shadowed her like a bad detective, worried that she’d swipe food off someone’s plate, or commandeer a child’s stuffed animal.

The second year, Rada was ‘practising’ wearing big girl underpants. I ran after her asking every 3 minutes if she needed to use the bathroom. My efforts were to no avail because she eventually had a disastrous accident in the middle of the kitchen, which took rolls of paper towels to clean up, and necessitated an entire clothes change.

This year, the third year, was completely different. The minute we got there she said to herself, ‘oh yes, I remember this’. And she went off on her own for the entire afternoon. She made friends, had her face painted, took several pony rides, and organized a pick-up hoop game. Periodically, she’d report back to me about all the things that she was doing by herself.

All of a sudden I was left to my own devices. I had to brush up on my social skills, meet new friends, and strike up conversations, all on my own.

1. Mary | June 29, 2006 at 7:34 am | Permalink

So nice to hear about the two of you growing up “together” – learning new things and meeting new people!