These just in

Although my camera got waterlogged, its memory card was ok and the photos from our recent trip to Storyland were salvaged, thanks to Tom’s intrepid efforts (and if anyone has any ideas on how to go about purchasing a servicable, reasonably priced digital camera, please feel free to share your thoughts).

Anyway, here is Rada on the carousel and the train:

RadaHorse-wl.jpgRadaOnTrain-wl1.jpg

Rada, Emilie and Zachary in the ball crawl:

RadaBallCrawl.jpg

Rock climbing at Gene and Kay’s house:

rockClimbing.jpg

and relaxing in the hammock.

Hammock.jpg

What I most remember about the weekend was wanting it to last longer. I also liked watching the kids play together. There is something extremely relaxing and satisfying about watching your child playing with other children.

1. Lisa | August 8, 2006 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I don’t have a specific camera recommendation but you should try to decide before the weekend when you can buy it tax free!

2. Mary | August 14, 2006 at 7:31 am | Permalink

I don’t have a recommendation either but I purchasesd the Samsung S500 last weekend and promptly returned it after my first attempt to use it. I was in a function hall and the pictures were all orange with squiggly lines going through them.

If you get any good advise, please share!

3. Tom | August 23, 2006 at 12:23 am | Permalink

Mary’s problem with squiggly lines sounds like “night flash” or “slow sync”. These are a camera settings, not defects, where the flash goes off to light the foreground properly but the shutter is kept open longer to capture some of the natural light. But there are limitations to when this setting will work well.

Also known as “dragging the shutter”, you can see an example of it used well at http://luongophoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1245483/1/58373828

For Molly’s camera purchase, I suggest she consider an HP M22. Small, weather-resistant, and inexpensive – plus she can borrow one from me to try it out.

4. Molly | August 24, 2006 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Thanks so much, Tom. I’d be delighted to borrow your M22 to try it out.

Mary and I have also been looking at the Nikon CoolPix L4 or L5. Do you know anything about those models?