Medicine

My daughter must take medicine without fail for 9 months. It is a half a pill in the morning and a tablespoon of syrup at night. The nurse-practitioner stressed how important it was to not miss a single dose.

The pill procedure is going well. My daughter splits the pill with her pill-splitter and I crush it and mix it into orange juice.

The syrup, however, is another matter. I tasted it; it is sweet in a cloying chemical sort of way, and my daughter has been having a hard time with it.

The first night, she took little sips of the syrup which she chased with water. It took a long time to get it all down and she really hated each sip.

The second night I encouraged her to gulp the whole tablespoon at once, but she took little sips again, which she chased with her favorite yogurt drink. This was a little better than water.

Last night, the third night, I put the syrup in her little cup, got her drinkable yogurt ready, and prepared myself for another night of ‘sipping’.

I turned to the sink for the moment and when I turned back she had downed all the syrup in one gulp. I was so proud of her! What a brave girl.  It was a very grownup thing she did: to decide to get through the unpleasant thing quickly.

1. Mary | August 16, 2006 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Hope all is okay with that sweet girl! 9 months, huh? Probably just enough time for her to get used to it!

2. chicagomama | August 20, 2006 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

We jsut finished up with our daughter’s 9 month treatment for latent TB. Ugg. It really is about the parent remembering it (it actually took us about 9 months 3 weeks to finish because of the days we forgot. But forgetting about 2.2 times a month isn’t that bad – and if you do forget occasionally, it really is ok).
    My daughter took the medication ok, but please make sure you are also giving her B6 vitamin, as you need to be taking more to make the medicine effective…though I am sure your doctor told you this. 😉 We actually had more problems getting our daughter to take the poly-vi-sol than the crushed pill.