This will not last

My daughter and I have settled into a daily routine. In the morning I walk her 6 blocks to her school, walking my bike alongside. I say goodbye, and ride the remaining 1.5 miles to work. In the afternoon, it is reversed: I ride my bicycle from work to her school, pick her up, and we walk home.

In the afternoon she is usually relaxed and happy to see me, neither over-stimulated nor overly-tired. It is her best time of the day. She runs ahead of me on the sidewalk, barely containing her urge to skip.

This is the best time of day for me, too. I savor the bike rides now. There has been a seemingly unending stream of cool fresh fall days, only infrequently interrupted by drizzle. On my bike I feel like a dragonfly, darting along traffic, landing anywhere, ultra mobile, contrasted to being in my car, which when I’m in traffic feels like being a snail, dragging along its bulky shell, never knowing where to put it.

When we get home, my daughter and I shed our work and school clothes and head for the park. From 5:30-6:30 the park is alive with activity. There are soccer games, and puppy playgroups. Toddlers and babies are in the playground. And there is the potential for a pick-up playdate for older children. Rada has met several neighborhood kids who drop by this time of day, and sometimes there will be as many as 10 kids playing “pirate ship” or “monster” in the dimming light.

None of this will last. The warm fall days will turn cool and gray all too soon. Before long we’ll be standing, huddled in front of the swing sets, hoping to to stave off the chill for five more minutes while the kids frantically breathe foggy clouds into the quiet dark blue sky.

1. Mary | October 3, 2006 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

The only thing I like about this time of year is decorating for fall/halloween and making a scarecrow. I know, I’m a bit old to be still making scarecrows but it’s the only good I can find in having to have all these beautiful leaves fall from their trees!

Sadly (in my opion, anyway), it won’t be long before you’ll be taking Rada to the park to make snow angels and snow men! 🙁

2. Sarah | October 4, 2006 at 5:33 am | Permalink

beautiful post.