Sacco’s Bowl Heaven

It was a rainy Sunday and with two squirmy 6 year-olds in the back seat, I was happy to be on my way to KidSpace. Located in a church basement, KidSpace has a gymnasium for running, with balls to throw, tricycles to ride, slides to slide up and down, and so much more. The is no one telling you to use your inside voice and its OK to play dress-up with a princess outfit and a firefighters hat.

But when we pulled up to the church that houses this venerable institution, it was immediately apparent that KidsSpace was cancelled for the day. A dad with his very disapointed toddler turned away from the xeroxed note on the door and explained to me that ‘there was a scheduling problem with the church’.

I sat in the car in the pouring rain and wondered to myself, what next?

Seemingly out of the blue, but probably dug up from ancient memories, came the word ‘bowling’.

Dimly remembering that there was a basement alley behind Davis Square, I called a friend for help. Sitting in front of a computer, the friend was quickly able to locate ‘Sacco’s Bowl Haven’. I made a call on my cell, learned that there were free lanes, and headed over.

Once the shoes are rented and the minimum amount of strings are played, bowling is not cheap. But it was well worth it. Just the experience of being in ‘Bowl Haven’ was worth the trip. The decor was straight out of my childhood, and the wooden lanes had the worn veneer of many polishings.

It was perfect for two fidgety 6-year-olds. It combined the satisfaction of throwing things down a long corridor with the interest of keeping score which they did very well.

As we headed out the door, the sun had gone down and it was dark. Day was done and we’d gotten through a rainy one.

Sometimes that’s all you need to do.

1. Ben | November 13, 2006 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

This is a such a great narrative, structured like a thriller: we plunge into the action, our heroes find them selves in peril half way through, just great piece, I read it out loud to Lisa.

2. Mary | November 14, 2006 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Bowling! How fun! Perfect entertainment for the gloomy weather we’ve been having!

3. Stacy | November 14, 2006 at 11:26 am | Permalink

This is a great story. I can’t wait for our first trip to the Bowladrome! (That’s what it’s called our town.)