New Citizen

Last weekend, Rada and I had the pleasure of meeting Ethan Azamat, an adorable, bright-eyed four-year-old who is the brand new son of Gwen and Mark.

They travelled to Kazakhstan to meet Ethan earlier this year, and Gwen just recently returned from fulfilling final legal obligations and bringing him back to the US.

This past weekend, Rada and her old friend Nuri were having a playdate reunion (both of them being former Kazakhs, themselves) and Ethan joined the group with more enthusiasm and energy than I’ve ever seen in a newcomer. He ran with the pack and acted like he’d lived here all his life. He absorbed, digested, and expressed words in English with an alarming speed and accuracy.

And when he smiled, oh my goodness, ships sank and the stars came out.

Welcome to this world, Ethan. Its wonderful to have you here.

1. Mary | January 5, 2007 at 8:21 am | Permalink

That’s just wonderful! If he adjusts as well as Rada has (with the help of her wonderful mom, of course!) then he’ll be just fine!

By the way… my New Year’s resolution is the same as every other. I’m officially on day 4. Can you guess???

2. Molly | January 5, 2007 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Go Mary Go Mary Go Mary Go!! I think I know what it is…. I went through it once, too….. it can be done…. it gets better with time, much much better with time. Do it one day at a time….. it is more important than anything else. At the beginning I felt that I had lost my brain, and that I’d never feel comfortable in my skin…. but I did get it back…I got everything back. I got my old self back…. all of me. But it took a little while… so just hang in there….. keep it simple.

3. Stacy | January 5, 2007 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Do you have a gallon-sized tub of Twizzlers, Mary?

4. Mary | January 5, 2007 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the support!

Stacy, I’m actually trying to be extra sensitive to what I eat as I did put on a few pounds at my last attempt over a year ago. Explain to me then, why am I sitting here eating this bag of gummy bears that I just bought at the Student Center???

Ugh…