the return of the Germinator

My daughter brings many things home from school: paintings, sculptures, school newsletters, and occasionally a treasured left-over from snacks or lunch.

Friday, however, she came home from school with dim eyes and a wan face. Going to sleep early did not help the situation and she woke up Saturday morning with a full-scale stomach bug.

It was a horrible thing, really. My daughter spent most of the day vomiting, or getting ready to. I rubbed her back, patted her head, and fed her toast and apple juice, hoping that she’d be OK.

By Sunday morning she was weak, but on the mend. I breathed a sigh of relief for her that she was over it, and for myself for circumventing it. Sunday evening, however, to my horror, I began to descend into ‘the abyss’.

It was a vile, utterly horrid bug. I will spare you the details. Luckily my mother was available to help.

Now, several days later, I’m feeling better, on the other side… but it took a while to feel like looking at food again, let alone eating it.

1. Stacy | January 19, 2007 at 9:27 am | Permalink

This vile bug also paid a visit to our house. Starting with me, then Matt, then Sam. On top of the vile bug, we all have bad colds and Sam has a double ear infection Did I mention that we were all healthy two weeks ago before he started daycare?

2. Molly | January 19, 2007 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Ah, yes. I remember my first year of daycare: getting sick every other week, and with those nasty kid bugs, too.

But after a while you will all become immune; bionic, really.

3. Ben | January 19, 2007 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

We had a very similar experience in California. Nathan, then lisa then Me, we went like dominoes to a stomach virus. At least our families took turns with the bugs, instead going down all at once. Nathan’s been lucky with preschool so far.