A Perfect Snow

The snow this morning, lightly dusting the cars and street, took my breath away. It was soft and fluffy, and had fallen so quietly the evening before that its presence was a complete surprise.

When Rada woke up, she glanced sleepily out the window and broke into a huge smile.

I told her if she got dressed and ready for school quickly, we would have some time to play. She scrambled through her morning routine, brushed her teeth in record time, and we headed out the door.

We had a fine snowball fight. She did not help me shovel the front walk, but rather pelted me with snow balls. I retaliated when I could and kept her at bay. Afterward, we wrote our names in snow on an un-sullied side street.

As we walked to school, she ambused me from behind, turning my black coat grey with snow. I returned the volley with some great hits on the back of her pink jacket. By the time we got to school, we both looked pretty ridiculous, with snow dust all over us.

It was a perfect morning in some ways: not too cold and not too much snow, enough for playing, and for a little desultory shovelling to get the body warm. Walking to school in the fresh air and with the world so silent and white, seemed magical. And the humble streets of Somerville had an aura of enchantment.

I am relieved to see snow, relieved that winter is actually here.