Valentines Day

It is interesting how different schools have their own cultures and values.

Last year, Rada’s pre-school studiously refrained from celebrating Valentines Day. The rationale for this was related to the notion of Valentines Day as a religious holiday. Given the diversity of cultures and ethnicities attending the pre-school, by not celebrating any religious holidays the hope was that no one in the community would feel left out or unduly favored. I understood the logic, but the idea of Valentine’s Day as a religious holiday seemed silly to me.

Anyway. This year in kindergarten, Valentines Day has loomed on the horizon and has been breathlessly awaited for weeks. Preparations have been on-going and both the teachers and students are very excited. Ms C has prepared all lessons and worksheets to have a heart theme, even the math and science modules. The students have been preparing valentines for their classmates and the day will culminate in a Valentines party wherein the students exchange valentines with one another. The rule for the class is: if you want to participate, you must create a card for everyone in your room (a great policy, I think).

Rada decided to participate, and we purchased a set of valentines last week (next year we’ll make them from scratch…) Rada picked out the theme, which was Strawberry Shortcake, and we brought the cards home and started addressing them.

It was a laborious process. Rada’s handwriting is only now begining to emerge. But she kept with it. Over the course of several evenings, she chipped away at the class list and by last night had addressed a valentine for every child in her class. (Way to go, Rada!)

In order to facilitate the recognition process, I re-wrote the child’s name on the back of each card. (Rada’s writing is big and un-disciplined and still wanders over the page.)

We lovingly put the cards in a plastic bag, and put them in her backpack. We also brought two roses for her teachers. She went off to school excited, breathless and ready to enjoy the day.

Happy Valentines!

1. Mary | February 15, 2007 at 8:35 am | Permalink

You just stirred some amazing memories of my childhood Valentine’s Days! I remember we used to make paper “mailboxes” that we’d decorate and put our names on. These would be hung from the side of our desks and at the Valentine’s party, we would all distribute Valentine’s for each other. Now, I’m wishing I had saved those (hint, hint!). What fun would it be to look back on those today???

2. Stacy | February 15, 2007 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I remember those “mailboxes” too! I also remember reserving the least snazzy pre-packaged valentine cards for the least desirable classmates. Kids can be so cruel.

3. Molly | February 15, 2007 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Rada didn’t have a mailbox. Gosh, I don’t think I had one at my school when I was a kid. But you’ve got me intrigued…