the 91 Bus

Today is the last day of Rada’s school vacation. We’ve been managing well with the adjustment to a different routine and the change in commute involved with taking her to her old daycare provider.

We’ve walked with the stroller, we’ve taken the car, and today we took the bus.

It was a new bus, one that neither Rada nor I had been on before. The bus, the 91, had a stop 2 blocks from my house and seemed custom-designed for our needs. It would take us right into Central Square… a scant 5-minute walk to Tracey’s apartment.

The longer I live in the city, the more I love buses. Although they are often late, frequently in ramshackle condition, and even break down sometimes, I like them. I like the social interaction and I like that they’re something that people in a community share, like a library.

As we were waiting at the stop this morning an ‘Out of Service’ bus went by, always a disapointment… so I asked Rada to be on the lookout for the 91 so we’d be sure to catch it when it came by.

Sure enough, a few moments later it rounded the corner at the end of the street. I just love it when buses are on time. It fills me with hope for the future and deep a sense of rightness in the world. Anyway. Rada started jumping up and down, waving her arms and saying “Its here! Its the 91! See that, a ‘9’ and a ‘1’…Oh, Mister bus driver… please stop for us… stop! We want to get on!”

And of course the bus stopped. The driver smiled (how often is someone so happy to see him?) We climbed on, happy, content, and ready to start our journey.

1. Stacy | February 23, 2007 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I, too, have a fondness for city busses. True, it’s stressful waiting for a late bus in bad weather and cramming onto a standing room only bus during rush hour, but there is something to be said for the social aspects as well. I remember certain bus drivers’ personalities and a handful of let’s just say “eccentric” passengers.

Now that I live a total suburban lifestyle, I have to say that I enjoy certain aspects about my quiet time in my clean (well, the dirt is at least my own dirt) car, driving the mostly traffic free, pleasant roads. But there will always be a part of this suburbanite who wishes she still lived in the city. And, yes, Medford counts!

2. Ben | February 23, 2007 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I feel like I spent half my childhood shuttling up and down Mass Ave on the number 1 bus. Here’s bus memory I had recently:

http://www.benbrophy.com/item-detail.php?id=20070208171257

3. Mary | February 27, 2007 at 8:29 am | Permalink

I’m a suburbanite and always have been although I do have happy memories of taking the bus (I don’t remember the number) with my Nana to do our “shopping” in Maplewood Square (Malden).

Something changed, though, and now, I’m close to a panic attack if my car is not within walking distance of me. I’m so bad that if I have a meeting across campus, regardless of what else I need to carry, my wallet, car keys and ID card to get out of the garage WILL be with me. Just in case.

P.S. Great story, Ben!