Morning Walk

R: I don’t want to go to school!

M: I don’t want to go to work, either. But I have to, so we’ll have money for food and clothes, and you have to go to school because it’s the law.

R: I want to change the law.

M: In that case, I suggest you become a lawyer.

R: Ok. How do I become a lawyer?

M: You need to read a lot and write a lot… and cultivate an argumentative personality.

R: Fine, no problem.

M: If you were a lawyer what would you do?

R: Change the laws: kids only go to school one day a week and people work one day a week.

M: Does that mean everyone would only work one day a week – even doctors, teachers, and bus drivers?

R: Yes.

M: What if you got sick on a day that the doctor wasn’t working? Who would take care of you?

R: I would let the doctor come over in his or her shorts and sneakers.

M: What would happen if we had to take the bus and it was on a different day than the bus driver worked?

R: No problem. Take the car.

M: What would you do about mean bosses and nasty teachers?

R: Throw them in jail.

M: Hm….. well, get in that school of yours and do lots of reading and writing. But try and hold off on the argumentative personality for the time being.

R: OK! Bye, mom.

1. Tom | April 19, 2007 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

I bet she gets high grades for citizenship on her report card! Will she going to run for kindergarten class president?

2. Tom | April 19, 2007 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I bet she gets high grades for citizenship on her report card! Will she run for kindergarten class president?

typo in that first posting! 🙁