in search of an algorithm

My daughter is unpredictable in her moods.

Some mornings she jumps out of bed, alert, interested, and happy to start the day. She’ll contentedly eat her fruit and cereal, calmly reading a book while I take a shower, and then will help me put on her school uniform.

Other days she’ll be totally unreasonable. Like the day she went into deep meltdown because we had run out of bananas. Or the morning she insisted that it was OK to go to school in her soccer outfit (when she’d been wearing her school uniform the prior 136 days… ?!?)

Sometimes, I think I can predict her state of mind. For example, I’ll factor in what she was like when she went to sleep, how long she slept, whether or not she had a bath, and then weigh the result against whether or not her stuffed animals slept with her. But it has been impossible to come up with a reliable equation. There appears to be no rhyme or reason. She is as mercurial as the weather, or maybe its just that the variables are too complex and I am unable to optimize them.  

1. Mary | May 21, 2007 at 7:40 am | Permalink

I can’t help you on that one but how ’bout a photo of the school uniform? I wore one as a child and hated it but now I think the children look so precious in them!