What the…?

Last week, when I pulled into our usual parking space next to the house and found someone else’s car Rada said, “What the…?”

And yesterday when we unexpectedly came upon a traffic jam on the way home from Judy’s house, Rada said again, “what the…?”

Her turn of phrase certainly summed up my feelings about the situations. But I’m pretty sure Rada doesn’t realize there is an implied third word, and thinks, rather, that the phrase is complete as is. I can think of several colorful endings, and I’d like to hope that she won’t catch on to any of them for at least a few more years.

So I’ve started using this same turn of phrase. When something doesn’t go my way, I frown and mutter “what the…?” hoping that if I give it some credibility, she’ll forgo any further curiosity.

I’m not overly committed to shielding her from life’s more colorful phrases. I’m just not sure how to give adequate definitions to some of those third words.

1. Susie | June 27, 2007 at 6:59 am | Permalink

My daughter says the same thing! I like how you started doing it, too. Instead of worrying about what the third word is, you make it a complete sentiment in two words. And it is; we all know the feeling that is being expressed. Why bother with an extra word? 😉