Sports TV

Earlier this week, Rada came home talking about the Red Socks, err Red Sox.

Apparently it was the main topic of discussion at after-school that day. There was going to be a night game and although the Sox were not playing the Yankees, it was going to be a really good game. Everyone at after-school was going to tune in and and watch it. Rada wanted to watch, too. I looked at her, smiling blandly, feeling a desperate horror. (Does one watch baseball on TV?? Is it network TV or must one subscribe to cable? Isn’t it at ungodly late hour at night? How do I find out about this?)

And of course I suspect watching the game on TV is only the beginning. Images of Fenway Park loom leeringly in my consciousness, with the smell of hot dogs and beer. How did this happen to my daughter? What a surprise!

And how will I cope? Is it possible to learn how to understand baseball scores late in life?

1. curtincall | October 5, 2007 at 6:54 am | Permalink

I’ll teach you! I’ll teach you! Yay for Rada! Another Red Sox fan!

On a side note – if you ever go up to Maine, you HAVE to bring Rada to a Portland Sea Dogs game at Hadlock field. They’re the double-A affiliates to the Boston Red Sox (and no, you don’t have to know what that means!). It is far more child friendly than Fenway Park and did I mention how cheap it is? General admission is $6/adult and $3/child. You positively CAN NOT beat it!

2. Molly | October 5, 2007 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Thank you so much, Mary! These are wonderful ideas. Portland Sea Dogs sounds just like our cup of tea. I will remember this.

3. Tom | October 11, 2007 at 10:53 am | Permalink

For the baseball schedule, see http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps_07.jsp

The Angels series was on a cable channel. The rest of the Red Sox games are on broadcast TV.

The flow of baseball is such that you may be able to fool a young child into going to bed between innings after the Sox have “finished batting” or perhaps when a pitching change is made. “Josh Beckett is leaving the game to go to bed. Time for you to sleep too.”

For live baseball, try the Lowell Spinners. Though they don’t have children’s pricing, the lowest price reserved seats is only $4.50 and it’s a lot closer than Portland. A pair of friendly Canal-ligators roam the park and something silly occurs on the field between each inning. (It’s the same silly things every game, so it does get a bit monotonous if you go more than 2 or 3 times a season.)

There’s also game area with moon walk bouncy type activities for the kids for about $1 per turn. And twice a year they let people camp in the outfield and show movies on the jumbotron. http://lowellspinners.com/community_scout.shtml

4. Bill | October 18, 2007 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Alas you have missed the North Shore Spirit in Lynn, easily accessible via commuter rail. The team went out of business at the end of the 2007 season.

You’ll have no trouble, I’m sure, understanding baseball scoring. The game in general is much simpler than football, for example.

There is a Kids page on the Red Sox web site – not sure whether it has anything good, though.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/kids/