goodbye

This morning, Rada and I walked to her school in the gentle, warm rain. Chatting and twirling our umbrellas, we made our way up the hill, over the train bridge, and then down the other side where her school came into view at the end of Webster Ave. She turned to me and said, “Mom, you don’t have to kiss me goodbye.”

Blinking, I looked at her, uncomprehending. What was she talking about? I always kissed her goodbye in the morning. She said, “No, its OK, Mom. Please don’t kiss me. You don’t have to. I’ll say goodbye to you here.”

Shaken, I helped fasten her backpack on her shoulders and waved goodbye as she walked the rest of the way alone.

Of course, I don’t have to kiss her goodbye. Of course she doesn’t it need it anymore. But I do.

I was counting on a few more years before she pulled away. What do you think? Should I insist on planting a goodbye kiss on that deliciously chubby cheek of hers … or should I let her go?

1. Mary | June 5, 2008 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Of course, I’m no expert on this kid stuff but how about a compromise? She can walk the rest of the way on her own, but you get a kiss before she heads off!

Isn’t it funny, too, how life goes through its cycles? I wouldn’t even think of leaving my parents now without giving them a kiss. If it didn’t happen, I would know something was very, very wrong!

2. Stacy | June 5, 2008 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Ouch. Not looking forward to that. I say let her go. She will come back for kisses when she needs them. You, on the other hand, may need to get a kitten. 🙂

3. Heather | August 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Molly – Your BBSS friend here. My son, Kush, is now 4 and he is also pushing the boundaries between dependence and independence. Now I have a new baby (Anika 4 mo) and she’ll do the same thing in a few years. How fast they grow…I just hope they still talk to me when they are teenagers! – Heather