honey crisp

My track record with resisting temptation of the edible variety is not good. I spent one summer, after quitting smoking, systematically clearing out the local convenience store of M&N chocolate peanuts. The situation got so bad that I would get one bag of M&Ns after lunch, swearing it  would last the rest of the day. But just before dinner I’d be back again, looking nonchalant, hoping that the clerks had changed shifts in the interim.

Years later I swore off sweets and desserts, but instead developed a nightly peanut butter and jelly sandwich habit.

And last winter I could not go to sleep without a dish of maple syrup yogurt for a night cap.

My newest obsession is Honey Crisp apples. I’m not going to tell you how good they are, because I don’t want you buying up the local stock.

However, I will reveal that they can only be purchased from farmers markets. Yesterday I got a bad hankering for one. Searching for a farmers market on a Tuesday, I saw one listed in Copley Square. Taking a huge detour on my bike trip from Kendall Square to Longwood, I stopped and got a bag of them. I was five minutes late to where I was going but had a tidy little stash of juicy sweet orbs tucked into my backpack and I felt smug and satsfied.

1. Mary | October 2, 2008 at 7:32 am | Permalink

I don’t know if I’ve had one of those but I google’d them and they look scrumptious! And they’ve got to be good for you – double scrumptious!

2. Tom | October 15, 2008 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Wilson’s in Lexington has them. Free Halloween themed hayrides while your there too.

3. Peter | October 27, 2008 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Driving by Lookout farm in Natick shortly after reading this, and inspired by your endorsement, we stopped to see if they had Honey Crisps. Indeed they did. Because of the high cost, we picked up just a few. They were very good, but I’m sticking with Galas. Ordinary, I know, but – what can I say? – I like the taste and texture (though Gala’s are prone to mushiness as they age). Anyway, if you’re gaga for Honey Crisps, you might be interested to know that over the weekend, I spotted them at Trader Joes and Star Market. At Star, they were on sale for 1.99 #, at least a buck a pound cheaper than they were at Lookout.