American

The principal of my daughter’s school is an African American man. The governor of the state we live in is an African American man. And our president-elect is an African American man. But these men are so much more than the mere color of their skin or accident of their gender. They’re all good parents, wise leaders, good listeners and each one is humble in ways that a true leader is humble: serving their people, their country, their students, and their state.

My Kazakh-born American daughter is growing up in a world where people of all colors and genders are leading our country and leading the world, hopefully to a better place. It is a truly wonderful day today, such a good day to be an American.

I stood looking over the school yard this morning as my daughter filed in with the rest of her classmates and teachers, such a rich group of nationalities and ethnicities in the school. I noticed another mother standing next to me, and we turned to each other in wonderment, sharing the amazement and joy. She said “I told my son this morning he can do anything he sets his mind to, he can be anything he wants to be”. I nodded, agreeing, tears in my eyes for some reason.

Such a nice day to be an American.

1. Stacy | November 6, 2008 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Beautiful post, Molly. I was feeling a similar sense of pride thinking that the first president Sam will be aware of will be a person of color. He won’t grow up seeing racial inequalities the way older generations have. A black president, and governor, for that matter, will just be normal for him.