IRC Transcripts of the Meetings

6

A few people have requested that we archive and post IRC transcripts of past meetings. When I mentioned this on IRC last week, a few people didn’t think posting transcripts was a good idea. Someone pointed out that it may not be appropriate to post transcripts when people who participated in the chat did not know from the beginning that transcripts could be archived and made available publicly. Someone else mentioned to me that some of the discussion on IRC is directly relevant to the meeting, but people at the meeting often don’t know about the discussion on IRC because no one reads it to those people physically present at the meeting and IRC is frequently not on the big screen where people at the meeting can read what’s happening.

Anything said at the meeting within the range of the microphone is archived as part of the Webcast. A few IRC transcripts from past meetings are available.

What do you think? Should IRC transcripts of the meetings be archived and made available publicly?

1. Wendy

February 11, 2004 @ 11:18 am

1

I am on the side of prefering prior knowledge where IRC transcripts are concerned. If I know it will be posted, as when I go to the meetings I know there will be audio recording, I am happy to have it posted. If I don’t know, I might say something to someone in the IRC channel that I may not want permanently posted. When you’re in the channel, you’re pretty well aware who’s there. When it’s HTML on the web, you have no idea who’s going to read it.

Going forward, I have no problem with transcripts as long as we have made a group decision beforehand to do so.

2. Fons Tuinstra

February 11, 2004 @ 10:58 pm

2

Agree, Wendy,
    I wonder whether it makes sense to publish the whole session: at most ten percent of the exchange would be interesting for the future generations.

3. Steve Pomeroy

February 12, 2004 @ 3:46 am

3

I agree – there should be prior knowledge of the IRC logging. On that note, perhaps we could automate it and invite a logging bot. Maybe even one that has as RSS feed, notifying of updates?

If people are interested, I’ll either whip one up in Perl or find one somewhere. So, logger bot?

4. Alan

February 12, 2004 @ 2:30 pm

4

I have participated in the IRC and would not want to see editing by people not on the IRC as much chat there is independent of the audio or goes down a path separate from and sometimes critical of the ideas in the room. I think the 10% figure is simply not correct. Also, as the IRC is subject to potential saving by any participant, I would think there is implicit consent due only to the nature of the technology. If this is still not considered possible, there should be no reason to allow access to participants.

5. Fons Tuinstra

February 12, 2004 @ 6:50 pm

5

Well, as long as the sound from the meeting has such a poor quality there is not much interaction between the IRC and the meeting. As least I do not pick up that much.

6. Fons Tuinstra

February 12, 2004 @ 6:50 pm

6