Preview: Amazon S3 Integration @ the DoDNN Conference

As many are aware, I will be presenting a session at the upcoming Day of DotNetNuke conference in Orlando, Florida.  The session is entitled “The Cutting Edge: Advanced Authorization in DotNetNuke 5.1.”  The abstract for this session reads:

Among the many improvements present in DotNetNuke version 5.1, this latest release includes authorization as a first-class extension point.  This allows customization previously impossible without core modification.  Additionally, the permission model (and the internal use thereof) has been significantly streamlined and centralized, allowing for great flexibility across myriad use scenarios.

In this session, we explore the new permission provider in detail.  This includes a discussion of how (and why) authorization services were centralized and abstracted, the overall design and structure of the provider, and available points of access control.  Finally, we examine some concrete ways in which the provider might be extended to meet real-world policy requirements.

When presenting architectural or theoretical material, I always strive to include a demonstration of how the material might be applied to a real-world scenario.  In this case, I will be demonstrating how a custom authorization provider can be used to enable full DotNetNuke integration with cloud-based Amazon S3 webservices.  A screenshot of the file manager in an Amazon S3-enabled installation is displayed below.

A screenshot demonstrating Amazon S3 cloud-based integration on the DotNetNuke platform

This session should appeal to a wide audience; I cover enough theoretical background for individuals new to security theory, and delve deep enough into the 5.1 authorization architecture to satisfy those that have high familiarity with the platform.  If you are interested in learning more about the internals of the framework — and how 5.1 authorization might be utilized — be sure to stop by!

Epilogue: The presentation materials are now available here, and the Amazon S3 Integration providers may be found here.

1. Mitchel Sellers

June 8, 2009 @ 10:11 am

1

Will you be making your presentation materials available after the presentation? (I think I present along side your session…) And I REALLY want to see this one, as I have not had a chance to investigate much there yet.

2. Brandon Haynes

June 8, 2009 @ 10:33 am

2

Hi Mitchel,

I plan on making the slide deck and Amazon S3 Authorization Provider available (the latter will be available on its project site at dnnamazons3.codeplex.com).

B

3. Sam Erde

June 8, 2009 @ 2:38 pm

3

DNN 5 keeps looking better and better. Thanks for your contributions!

4. Lee Sykes

June 9, 2009 @ 11:51 am

4

That looks really good, I have been receiving a few enquiries recently about s3 integration for file storage with DNN. Look forward to checking out the details when you post them.

5. Andy

June 12, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

5

I always enjoy learning how other people employ Amazon S3 online storage. Check out my very own tool CloudBerry Explorer that helps to manage S3 on Windows . It is a freeware. http://cloudberrylab.com/ It should be especially appealing to .NET community as it is 100% Windows .NET app.

6. Greg

June 20, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

6

Really looking forward to this ability (as I’m sure many people are)!

A big Thank You for providing this to the community!

Greg