Garden State vs. Bridget Jones

It looks like my speaking out against twentysomething male fantasy movies about depressed jerks and the saintly women who save them may turn into an outreach/intervention. I received this via email:

Sounds exactly like the script my flat mate has been writing for the
last year and a bit. I e-mailed him some excerpts to see if he comes to
his senses 🙂

I’m happy to help. But as I told this person, I don’t want to frustrate anyone’s creative impulses. Perhaps every twentysomething male needs to churn out one of these types of scripts in order to exorcise those demons. Then they can move on to something more interesting.

I’m trying to think of the equivalent female-fantasy movies, but am drawing a blank. That could be because there aren’t so many scripts by women, or it could be my own personal blind spot concerning my own gender. Maybe it’s the woman-who-dares-to-find-herself-and-in-so-doing-finds-Mr.Right? Any help, guys? What are the female fantasy cliches that annoy you in films? Anything with Meg Ryan or Tom Hanks in it? I’d say something like Bridget Jones would be an obvious choice, but it’s actually so old-fashioned that its attitudes seem fresh again. A woman daring to admit she wants a husband! That just isn’t done.

5 Responses to “Garden State vs. Bridget Jones”

1. Kris
    April 28th, 2005 | 4:08 pm

Under the Tuscan Sun?

2. The Redhead
    April 28th, 2005 | 5:05 pm

All the wedding movies ever made, pretty much. Not finding-a-husband movies, but wedding-centric ones, like The Wedding Planner, Runaway Bride, etc. No Wedding Is Really Like That Unless You Are A Millionaire.

3. seasull
    April 28th, 2005 | 5:55 pm

I thought Secretary was pretty much the last word in female romantic fantasy films.

4. cynthia rockwell
    April 29th, 2005 | 1:06 pm

how right you are, sean. i’m so tired of seeing movies about chicks who find their perfect dom, what a cliche.

5. seasull
    April 29th, 2005 | 6:05 pm

And Hollywood always makes it seem like these women just ride off into the sunset with their doms and live happily ever after.