Movie Ads

One thing I meant to mention about last night’s movies was the ads, which I am now paying more attention to since this post. We saw the movie at Somerville Theater, where before I only saw one pre-movie ad, but this time there were four. They were brief though, and lasted about 2 minutes altogether, and started after the advertised start time for the film. Are there really theaters where they show 20 minutes of ads? Twenty minutes is a loooong time. I can’t even imagine.

5 Responses to “Movie Ads”

1. snjoseph
    May 16th, 2005 | 12:19 pm

Are there really theatres that show 20 minutes of previews? Uh, YES, like all of them. Don’t you ever go see ordinary-people movies?

2. cynthia rockwell
    May 16th, 2005 | 12:47 pm

i guess i haven’t done that in awhile. but is it really 20 minutes? that seems an exaggeration.

3. snjoseph
    May 16th, 2005 | 1:46 pm

Girlfriend, if you clock in at only 20 minutes, you’ve caught a lucky break. I think the last movie I went to had like 6-7 previews, and they must each be at least 3 minutes–plus as you get closer to the feature, the previews get longer. I figure the last 2-3 previews are like 5-7 minutes each.

Actually, I’ve kind of come to like the previews. They’re usually so idiotic, and the movies they announce are so clearly bad, that the audience openly makes fun of them. You kind of bond with the people sitting around you. But seriously, go see Revenge of the Sith or something if you don’t believe me.

4. cynthia rockwell
    May 16th, 2005 | 1:50 pm

no no no, i’m not talking about previews, i’m talking about ads. i suppose previews can be considered ads, but that’s not what i’m referring to. i mean coke ads, amex ads, etc. i like previews.

5. snjoseph
    May 16th, 2005 | 4:40 pm

Oh, alright. I have noticed more non-preview ads, but not 20 minutes’ worth. Never mind! I guess I see it as less of a conceptual stretch to consider previews to be a form of advertising…