Herzog Shot During Interview

How am I so late in hearing about this? I adore this man, his legend just keeps growing. Who needs to watch his films, he himself is pure entertainment:

“German director Werner Herzog was shot by a crazed fan during a recent interview with the BBC.

The 63-year-old was chatting with movie journalist Mark Kermode about his new film, documentary Grizzly Man, when a sniper opened fire with an air rifle.

Kermode explains, “I thought a firecracker had gone off.

“Herzog, as if it was the most normal thing in the world, said, ‘Oh, someone is shooting at us. We must go.’

“He had a bruise the size of a snooker ball, with a hole in. He just carried on with the interview while bleeding quietly in his boxer shorts.”

An unrepentant Herzog insisted, “It was not a significant bullet. I am not afraid.”

Also this:

Herzog Helped Phoenix from Car Wreckage

Oscar-nominee Joaquin Phoenix was rescued from his car wreck last week by German cult director Werner Herzog. The 31-year-old Walk The Line star overturned his car on a canyon road above Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood after his brakes failed and he collided with another vehicle. Phoenix was saved because he was wearing his seat-belt, but has revealed he was helped from the wreckage by the 63-year-old, who has a home nearby. The actor says, “I remember this knocking on the passenger window. There was this German voice saying, ‘Just relax.’ There’s the airbag, I can’t see and I’m saying, ‘I’m fine. I am relaxed. Finally, I rolled down the window and this head pops inside. And he said, ‘No, you’re not.’ And suddenly I said to myself, ‘That’s Werner Herzog‘ There’s something so calming and beautiful about Werner Herzog‘s voice. I felt completely fine and safe. I climbed out. I got out of the car and I said, ‘Thank you,’ and he was gone.”

3 Responses to “Herzog Shot During Interview”

1. Pete
    March 4th, 2006 | 11:16 am

This post is not complete without a link to:

http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/spoofs_satire/be_not_afraid.php

2. cynthia rockwell
    March 5th, 2006 | 4:58 pm

ha that’s great. my favorite is “it is a trick question. you are trying to deceive me.”

3. Richard Gibson
    March 26th, 2006 | 4:40 pm

Wow, I completely missed this. Sadly the link doesn’t really tell us any more, guns are really not prevelant in UK, or anywhere in Europe for that matter. Sounds like Herzog is used to chaos around him. I love the film about Kinski ‘My Best Fiend’.