Blind Faith

Blind Faith

October 10, 2014

I have found one of the most interesting aspects of studying religion is the question of blind faith. In a scientific era though processes are becoming increasingly more fact based and less on faith alone. In Fadl’s Conference of Books: Chapter 58: The Remembrance, the speaker begins to inquire the priest on the knowledge of which he bases his claims, asking him to support his claims with evidence. When the priest cannot answer many of the questions, it makes the reader realize that many people just accept things as truth, as fact, without any reason for doing so. This “blind faith” is present in not just Islam, but many religions.

I then began to wonder, what leads people to having this sense of blind faith? And why do they become so encompassed in it, letting it rule their every decision and thought? After much thinking, I came to the conclusion that people need something to believe in, something to pull them through when they feel like they can’t get themselves through. People feel like they need a reason to exist, and if they put there efforts into religion, they are given that reason.

Finally, I thought, well faith is a good thing to have. You must be optimistic and have faith in something in order to find contentment in your life. But to what extent is blind faith good? If we cannot know who we can trust and what we can put our trust into, then is it really a good idea to grasp onto it with such reverence? Is it too much of a chance to take?

I don’t have the answers, but I thought I’d do this drawing to explicate the sense of the unknown that goes along when you put your faith into something. You don’t know if your faith is going to be rewarded, or if you are going to be left with nothing. And this can be frightening for many people, but sometimes you have to risk it for the biscuit.