Photo courtesy of HLAB

Via the Harvard Law Record

The Harvard Legal Aid Bureau will celebrate 100 years of providing free legal services to low-income individuals in the Greater Boston area on the weekend of November 8th, 2013. The Bureau, better known as HLAB, is the oldest student-run legal services organization and specializes in four different practice areas: housing law, family law, government benefits law, and fair wage law. As a legal service organization, HLAB members are both students and practicing attorneys and often find themselves balancing academia, work, and a social life in ways foreign to many other HLS students.

“Balance? What balance?” 2L Jocelyn Keider joked. “It’s definitely a challenge to balance reading for class and going to class with real client representation and the work that is involved in that. I just have to make sure that I make every single class that I can. I try to pay attention in class as best I can because I know that I’ll have to miss class for a hearing. You have to be disciplined. You have to make time for both. You have to force yourself to not waste time in a way that we may otherwise want to.”

Please read the full story on the Harvard Law Record.