In celebration of International Women’s Day, Harvard Law School is hosting an inaugural Photo Exhibition entitled Inspiring Change, Inspiring Us, sponsored by HLS, the International Development Society, and the Women’s Law Association. The exhibit features women in the field of law and policy and recognizes the work they have done to inspire and pave the way for others.

Students, faculty and staff nominated each woman for being an inspiration to his or her career. Among the portraits of judges, activists, public servants, corporate lawyers and businesswomen from across the globe, four of our clinicians – Esme Caramello ’99, Emily Board Leib ’08, Stephanie Goldenhersh, and Maureen Devine – were featured for their excellent work and mentorship.

Here is a bit more about these inspiring clinicians via the Women Inspiring Change website.

Esme Caramello is the Deputy Director of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau and she is a “passionate advocate for her clients and an incredibly thoughtful supervisor.” She has spent her career working tirelessly on behalf of low-income people and training the next generation of legal professionals to do the same. HLAB student attorney Annie Lee who nominated Esme wrote: “I’m inspired by Esme Caramello who works tirelessly to help low-income tenants facing eviction…When she’s not in court, Esme’s in the Bureau teaching and mentoring HLAB student attorneys. She’s generous with her time and dedicated to making us astute, ethical, and compassionate lawyers. I feel so lucky to have gotten to work with Esme on an eviction case last year. She let me take the reins in the case and strategize how to keep an elderly African-American woman in her home. She’s an excellent clinical instructor and has mentored me, as well as multiple classes of HLS men and women.” Esme earned her Bachelor’s degree from Harvard University and J.D. from Harvard Law School.

Emily Broad Leib is a Lecturer on Law and Clinical Instructor at Harvard Law School, as well as Associate Director of the Harvard Law School Center for Health Law and Policy Innovation. She co-founded and directs the Center’s Food Law and Policy Clinic, the first law school clinic in the nation devoted to studying and providing legal and policy solutions for the health, economic, and environmental challenges facing our food system. Leib’s work focuses primarily on food law and policy projects aimed at increasing access to healthy foods, preventing diet-related diseases such as obesity and Type 2 diabetes, and assisting small and sustainable farmers and producers in participating in local food markets. She is an inspiring leader of her staff and of the multitude of students she supervises in the Clinic and the Mississippi Delta Project. Ms. Leib is “an entrepreneur, a fierce advocate, and a down-to-earth manager who takes the time to work with each student she meets to ensure they have the most positive and most productive learning experience possible.” She earned her B.A. from Columbia University and J.D. from Harvard Law School.

Stephanie Goldenhersh is a clinical instructor at the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau. Before joining Harvard, she practiced for six years at the Legal Assistance Corporation of Central Massachusetts and handled domestic relations litigation and abuse prevention orders. Caitlin Pratt who nominated Stephanie wrote: “I’m inspired by Stephanie’s commitment to domestic violence victims and ending domestic violence, for everyone, forever. This is no small goal and Stephanie knows it, but she pushes ahead and is always looking for new and dynamic solutions to the problem. Stephanie truly cares for her clients and she knows they deserve better, so she fights for them. And she somehow manages to maintain her passion and energy day in and day out. Stephanie has taught me to be a better lawyer– or almost lawyer– and a better advocate for victims. I hope I can continue to grow and find something I love as much as she loves what she does.” Stephanie received a B.A. from Brandeis University and J.D. from University of Michigan Law School. She was an editor of the Michigan Journal of Gender & Law.

Maureen Devine joined the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau in July 2009 after practicing law for more than 25 years in the Boston area. Previously, Devine worked as Counsel in the Family Law Department of Foley & Lardner LLP and was a member of the legal departments of the Massachusetts Department of Public Welfare and the Department of Revenue/Child Support Enforcement. Nila Devanath who nominated Maureen wrote: “Mo has been one of the best mentors I could have ever asked for at the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau. She is a shining example of what I want to be like as a lawyer when I graduate. She is on top of every detail and the facts of the case, knows the law like the back her hand, can see exactly what the next step is, and most of all, she follows up and follows through. She has taught me how to better manage my time and discern what is legally important and what is not in each one of my cases. I am learning so much from her. If I could be even half the advocate she is for my clients, I would consider myself a success. Mo, thank you for all that you do at the Bureau and the countless lives you have touched with your dedication to teaching.” Maureen earned her J.D. from Suffolk University Law School.