This summer, the Environmental Law Program announced its 2014 Barron Fellows, all of whom ventured out to different cities across the United States to work on environmental issues involving advocacy, litigation, and legal research. In addition to their passion for environmental justice, the Barron Fellows also discussed the Emmett Environmental Law and Policy Clinic. You can read their comments below.

Cecilia Segal, J.D. '15

Cecilia Segal, J.D. ’15

Cecilia Segal, J.D. ’15 

“The clinic was a great experience for me. I had an offsite placement with the Clean Air Task Force in Boston. It gave me the opportunity to participate in huge developments in environmental law as it was happening. The projects I worked on were so relevant and fascinating; I helped prepare comments on EPA’s new power plant rules, and also provided research for the environmentalists’ brief in the UARG case, which was recently decided by the Supreme Court. Both projects gave me invaluable hands on experience and exposure to environmental lawyers, litigation, and policy work. The whole experience really solidified my goal of pursuing environmental law as a career.”

Seth Hoedl, J.D. '15

Seth Hoedl, J.D. ’15

Seth Hoedl, J.D. ’15 

“The Environmental Law Clinic has been a fantastic experience that has greatly enriched my time at HLS. I learn just as much, if not more, in the clinic than in formal classes and I feel that my work in the clinic has had just as much, if not more, impact on real-world issues as my summer positions. The clinic staff makes a real effort to match each student with projects that fit their interests. For me, it has become a true home at HLS and I look forward to continuing to work with the clinic during my 3L year. “

Sean Lyness, J.D. '15

Sean Lyness, J.D. ’15

Sean Lyness, J.D. ’15

“The Environmental Law and Policy Clinic has provided me with the support to seek out opportunities based on how passionate I am about them, not how lucrative they are. Some of the best, most important legal work out there does not come with a summer paycheck. The clinic has allowed me to pursue that work and thrive while doing it.” 

Samantha Caravello, J.D. '15

Samantha Caravello, J.D. ’15

Samantha Caravello,
J.D. ’15 

“The Environmental Law and Policy Clinic helped me secure an externship placement with a nonprofit organization defending EPA’s greenhouse gas rules before the Supreme Court. I was able to work on what I feel is the defining issue of my generation while learning from some of the country’s most talented environmental attorneys, an experience for which I am very grateful.” 

Read more about the fellows and their work through the fellowship here.