Apple Launches iTunes Music Store

Here’s the press release. My favorite part of the release is Steve Jobs saying, “The iTunes Music Store offers the revolutionary rights to burn an unlimited number of CDs for personal use.”  Funny, I don’t find that revolutionary at all, given that I’ve been burning copies of CDs for the last 5 years.

6 Responses to “Apple Launches iTunes Music Store”

1. patrick
    April 28th, 2003 | 6:10 pm

I think Steve’s point was the “right” to burn a CD without having the RIAA on your @ss. The big guys have tried to eliminate the right to make copies of CDs (even security copies) … buying from the iTunes Music store will give you additional rights to the music you won’t get (yet) from other services.

2. Anonymous
    April 28th, 2003 | 7:34 pm

Right – the point is, revolutionary compared to what? I don’t think the baseline for comparison should be MusicNet and PressPlay.

3. Alfredo Octavio
    April 28th, 2003 | 7:35 pm

Steve was just taking about online services. Yes, he didn’t make it explicit, but, you know, that’s how humans talk…

4. pb
    April 28th, 2003 | 9:16 pm

Seems pretty revolutionary to me. But maybe I’m just normal.

5. patrick
    April 29th, 2003 | 12:20 am

Well, the technology isn’t revolutionary to you and me, on the other hand getting Hillary Rosen to budge an inch on online music that gives rights to users (not all, it isn’t perfect) has to be up there with the storming of the Bastille.

6. zip codes
    April 29th, 2003 | 3:25 pm

I don’t think it is revolutionary, maybe intuitive at best.