International Experiences with HCAP!

My Sophomore Spring is going great! It’s been moving extra fast because there are so many things going on but the balance between my academics, extracurriculars, and work is something that I’m getting better and better at with time. It feels good knowing that this semester has already been jam-packed with unforgettable memories- and I’m not even halfway through yet!

One experience that’s especially made an impact on me is my participation in the Harvard College in Asia Program or (HCAP). It’s a program that brings together students from Harvard and students from Asia in a set of exchange conferences between the Harvard campus and the campuses of some of the top universities in Asia. (There’s more information in the video below)

Through the conference, I was able to make friends from around the world, listen to their perspectives, and learn from their culture. I was even able to learn more about global healthcare, which was the focus of the HCAP conference this year. It was definitely an opportunity for personal growth. There’s just so many ways to do that here.

It feels great knowing that all the hard work paid off. Being a part of the HCAP team and sharing the international experience with the delegates is definitely going to be an amazing experience to look back on. I can’t wait to go to the second half of the conference in Asia! You see, the Harvard HCAP team is divided into delegations, each going to a different university in Asia for a conference hosted by a group of the international HCAP delegates. Where am I going to go? I’m lucky enough to be going to Japan! I’ve always wanted to travel to Japan and because of HCAP, I finally have the opportunity to do so. I still can’t believe that next month, I’ll be on the other side of the world… Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to tell you guys all about it! In the mean time, check out this video to find out more about how the beginning of Sophomore Spring and the HCAP conference went!

7 comments

1. Suzanne’s avatar

This is great news Jesse that you’re going to Japan. Hope you can tour around their universities with their research. I was able to study in Japan for my master’s degree and they’re warm-hearted people like most asians. Good luck!

2. rose’s avatar

很高兴您能有这种思想,me too .now i want to say 中国欢迎您

3. John B. Wingate II’s avatar

Thanks. If I ever get accepted, it would be nice to meet you. Gracias para tus consejos!

4. bambinanomade’s avatar

That seems to be very exciting, meeting people other than your race. I hope you’d find that tickle to learn from other cultures. Your really fortunate in that case. Hope for the best experience you’ll have. Pag amping!

1. Jesse Sanchez’s avatar

It was a very exciting experience! And learning from other cultures and experiences is definitely an important way to grow. I am very grateful for these opportunities. And Thank you so much!

2. John B. Wingate II’s avatar

Hi. First, you are very inspirational. I thought you had to be this nerd with incredible academics and money to go to Harvard. You are really giving me hope with my admission process Anyway, I too really want to go to Japan. For the HCAP, did you get to choose Japan, because I am interested if I get in.

1. Jesse Sanchez’s avatar

Thank you so much for your kind words! And I had that same perception of “Harvard”- super nerdy or super rich. That was before I ever visited or got a chance to learn more about it. Good thing I gave Harvard a chance, the student body is so much more than these generalizations. They’re truly dynamic and passionate about making positive change in the world. If you are interested, please don’t hesitate to apply! You never know what will happen unless you give it a shot!
        And yes, I was able to choose to go to Japan, it was one of the options of the program. I’m so excited! Best of Luck!