Guest Blog: Sorority Life

Katie Gunn, senior, Sociology, Adams
Kappa Kappa Gamma  www.krimsonkappas.com)

Entire Chapter in Nantucket

I never thought that I would join a sorority when I went to college – although friendships have always been a huge part of my life, I guess that I unknowingly accepted far too many stereotypes of the Greek system and did not want the type of drama that I envisioned came with being a sorority member as part of my college experience. But, when I came to Harvard for Admitted Students Weekend (now Visitas!) and met many of the girls in my host’s sorority, I began to question those stereotypes. Is being in a sorority really like in the movies? That’s like asking if Harvard is really as it is portrayed in Legally Blonde – and the answer is a resounding no.

Chapter at Recruitment Outside with Kappa Signs

Kappa at Recruitment with Banner

I went though recruitment, which happens in the beginning of the second semester, sans most of my best freshman year friends and not really knowing any of the current sorority members. I took a leap of faith, but discovered after the first day a group of girls that I instantly clicked with. The first member of Kappa Kappa Gamma that I ever met was everything that I admired – intelligent, driven, passionate, friendly, confident, and above all, a leader in the Harvard community. This was like a dream come true! The ladies of Kappa at Harvard are a group of women who all share these traits in common – they are funny, sincere, driven, sociable. They have fun social events, sponsor philanthropy events on campus, form class study groups, host a professor’s tea at the faculty club, and have sisterhood dinners and study breaks weekly. Kappa is an all-encompassing experience that provides you with a loving group of sisters who not only support you in your personal endeavors but also enrich your life through Kappa events.

Kappas in Nantucket at Dinner

Kappa – Harvard UNICEF Event

Most of all, the women of Kappa Kappa Gamma provide a family, a support system that you can lean on in times both good and bad. I immediately share my most exciting accomplishments with the chapter but also turn to them when I am too overwhelmed to continue or am disappointed with something that has happened. I laugh with them, cry with them, and they are always there for me to support me no matter what. At every basketball game, there is a section of Kappa girls, cheering on their sisters as they rule the court; no matter what the event is – an a capella concert, a charity event, a study panel – you always have sisters there to support you in what you do. Even better, from teams to pre-professional societies, from community service clubs to theatrical productions. the members of Kappa are student leaders across campus. That is part of the reason why being in Kappa is such an inspiring experience – we are all so different and have amazing passions to share with the chapter, yet we are all united under our love for Kappa Kappa Gamma.

Kappas at a formal event
Kappa Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) Philanthropy Event

I could go on and on about my love for Kappa Kappa Gamma, but I’ll end here, leaving you with one thought: “The ties that bind me to my sisters are not wrapped around my wrists, but rather are fastened to my heart.” Being part of a sorority here at Harvard is not an omnipotent part of my college experience. I am a leader in three other student groups; none of my roommates are members of Kappa. Being in a sorority simply provides another option for support, for friendships, for sisterhood, for opportunities to grow, and for leadership; but, for me, joining Kappa has been the most important decision I have made since choosing Harvard.

Tags:

3 comments

1. Vanessa’s avatar

Sorority can be a very good place to find new friends and social contacts. I even would say it can improve your life as new friends make life easier and more precious. We can see that you have lots of fun and enjoy being part of this group.

2. andrew’s avatar

yo i just wondered could i go to harved even though am from liverpool in the uk

3. andrew’s avatar

yo i just wondered if i could go to harved because am from liverpool in the uk and is there a age limit coz am 21 now an what would i need