Latino Holiday Dinner & Message from Eli Murillo (Harvard ’10) & Señora Murillo

I can’t believe it’s already December… 2011 definitely flew by and when I think back to where I was one year ago, I see a different person. Of course, I’m still the same ol’ goofy, talkative (almost too much sometimes) Jesse, but I can’t deny that I’ve grown a lot this past year. I’ve learned a lot and have had the opportunity to become acquainted with brand new cultures, continents, and hemispheres. All of it came so quickly and already, the adventures of 2011 will come to an end the night of December 31st. This isn’t a time to be sad though! This just means a brand new set of adventures can begin the morning of January 1, 2012. Now is a time of renewal, reflection, and reminiscing.

Speaking of reminiscing, I heard word of the annual Latino Holiday Dinner (that I sadly had to miss) and thought back to last year and what I wrote on this very same Harvard Blog… Wow. 12 months ago!! Even though I wasn’t there in person this year, I was there in spirit and am looking forward to next year’s celebration. The annual Latino Holiday Dinner is always a memorable night and the celebration started on Harvard campus must continue after we arrive home right? Leave it to Harvard Latinos to keep the party going…

Every year, there is an additional Latino Holiday Dinner during the holidays where, unlike the one in Cambridge, the families of the students are able take part in the college experience. It’s a great time to get to know your peers a little bit better and see the wonderful families they are a part of. I wasn’t able to be on campus for the first LHD but am looking forward to the California edition later this month when I’m back from studying abroad. I’ll be able to catch up with old friends and make new friendships with the Harvard Alum that are able to make it. They have so much wisdom to share and it’s fun to compare experiences to see what’s changed and what’s stayed the same. Amazing food, wonderful company, and warm family love are what make the holidays- and the Latino Holiday Dinner- one of my favorite parts of the year.

Last December, I had the honor of meeting the mother of my friend, Eli Murillo (Harvard College 2010) at the Latino Holiday Dinner. I asked them to share a few words about the college journey and am happy to share it with you in the video below. Happy Holidays!