It’s Been Real, Junior Fall

There’s nothing like walking out of the exam room after your last final of the semester. It is a long-awaited sigh of relief, (unwanted) reminder of exhaustion, and a huge feeling of accomplishment. Huge. All the hard work has finally paid off–well, for the most part. I remember at least one course I’ve taken here that I didn’t enjoy, which definitely reflected in my attitude toward the class. Regardless, I had that hodgepodge of feelings earlier today as I walked out of the Science Center after my Organic Chemistry final. The strangest part about it all is the interim between having no academic commitments and when you leave campus for home. Many people peace out as soon as they walk out of the classroom, suitcase and all. As a fairly local student (I’m from Massachusetts), I don’t have to catch a flight, so free time is suddenly restocked on all the shelves. I leave campus tomorrow morning.

You might be wondering, what exactly does one do when the majority of people have already left campus and those who are still around are studying for their next exam? Well, I had tea with my Proctor from freshman year (a Proctor ┬áis essentially a “Resident Assistant” or “Resident Advisor” at other schools). Yes, my proctor and I still get together even though she is no longer my advisor. Many students keep in touch with their proctors and advisors from years past, and I think that’s a testament to the Advising Program here. You get to know each other very well, and it definitely isn’t unusual to see students and their advisors outside of an academic setting, perhaps eating in a dining hall or getting coffee together.

After we caught up, I went out into Harvard Square and attempted to get some Christmas shopping done. Now, I’m a very bad shopper because I’m extremely indecisive when it comes to gifts. I’m usually nervous that the person I’m buying for isn’t going to like what I get him or her. I know, I know…it’s the thought that counts. But I can’t help but doubt my gift purchasing abilities, which is why I think the holiday season would be fantastic if no one exchanged presents and instead just enjoyed each other’s company without gifts. I might suggest that, but it’s too late for this year. I was unsuccessful in my search, but it was definitely a nice, somewhat mindless way to spend time after my final exam.

I must now clean my room and pack. I haven’t paid too much attention to where stray papers and clothes have gone because of Reading and Finals Period, so it is a bit of a(n organized) mess!

My dorm room

My next blog post will be from home! I hope everyone has a great week!

Tags: , ,

1 comment

1. Lenterak’s avatar

I am so sorrry my lastcomment. Use the time to charity, is an alternative choice