Legend & Basketball

The title of this blog post was supposed to be a play on the movie “Love & Basketball.” Get it? Maybe it’s a bad comparison. I actually don’t even know if it’s a good comparison because I’ve never seen the movie, but I always feel like my posts are better if they have catchy titles. I’m terrible at thinking of them, so I’m open to your suggestions if you have any!

Friday evening, the Varsity Men’s Basketball team played Princeton during a sold out game. We got free shirts as we walked in, and Lavietes Pavilion was packed! My friends and I all squeezed in with everyone else and were on the edge of our seats the whole time. Next to volleyball (I’m a bit biased…), basketball is my second favorite sport to watch. The Boston Celtics will always have the number 1 spot in my heart as far as the NBA goes, but if we separate by league, The Crimson is, of course, my top NCAA team. One of the starting forwards on the basketball team, Kyle Casey, is a friend of mine who lived on the first floor of my dorm building freshman year. It’s the coolest thing to watch your classmates do incredible things outside of the classroom, especially athletically since sports are a big part of my life. I’m looking forward to March Madness!

At the basketball game vs. Princeton!

Harvard 67, Princeton 64!

I know Kemie already wrote about it, but here’s my take on the same event! Each year, about 30 student groups come together and perform during Cultural Rhythms, which is The Harvard Foundation‘s event that celebrates diversity on campus. In addition, The Harvard Foundation chooses a distinguished artist for his or her achievements and commitment to diversity, and often times, his or her humanitarian efforts. This weekend, John Legend was on campus to receive his award, being honored as the 2012 Artist of the Year, who also has the responsibility of hosting the Cultural Rhythms show. I didn’t know too much about John Legend, but my blockmate (one of the 7 people I chose to “block” with after freshman year so we ended up being placed in the same dorm building) Katherine is a member of the Immediate Gratification Players (IGP), a long-form improvisational comedy troupe, who get to do an annual roast of the Artist of the Year. I sat next to her as she wrote it, and while I missed the actual roast since I was asleep (it was at noon…oops!), it was hysterical.

I actually still don’t know a lot about John Legend, but after watching him host Cultural Rhythms, I decided I would support him because he seems like a very laid back, humble guy. Download “Green Light” or “Ordinary People”! Two (of many) great songs! He was pretty witty throughout the afternoon, and his acceptance speech after receiving the award was incredibly sincere. I recorded it because I wanted to show you all. Check it out below.

Tags: , , , , ,

3 comments

1. She007’s avatar

Hi, I LOVE Basket. Cool Blog.

2. Jamie’s avatar

way to go, scott

3. Grosir Busana Muslim’s avatar

Scott you looks great wearing those costume