Carbon monoxide detectors

Do you have them? Do they have battery back up? If you answered NO to either of these questions, please read on.

As most of you know, we have had terrible weather over the past week and many, many people have been without power. My brother’s family (and his extended family that is living with him temporarily) was one of them.

They lost their power Thursday. Fortunately, they have a generator. They set it up on the side of the house, instead of the back as they have in the past.

On Sunday, their power came back at approximately 8:30. Everyone was in bed because they had not been feeling well and were very tired. Around 10:00, his brother-in-law came and woke him because “something was beeping downstairs”. Turned out there was an ELECTRIC carbon monoxide detector down there and by the time the power came back on and it got a reading, it was at 77. Humans can survive approximately 4 hours with a reading of 80.

So, yes. Had the power not come on, my brother, his wife and son, his brother-in-law, sister-in-law, niece, nephew and mother-in-law would not be with us today. I am horrified by the thought.

So, please. If you do not have carbon monoxide detectors, get them. If you do not have battery back up carbon monoxide detectors, get them. If you do have battery back up carbon monoxide detectors, please check those batteries regularly.

I love my family and friends very much and I need you all to be around for a long, long time, okay?!?!?!

Published in:Uncategorized |on March 2nd, 2010 |12 Comments »

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

12 Responses to “Carbon monoxide detectors”

1. Daisy Says:

Very good advice. We have detectors but they don’t have a battery back-up. I’ll have to look into that.

2. Stacy Says:

Oh, that’s so scary. I’m glad everything worked out okay. We have two battery-only detectors, one on each floor, and then a hard-wired combination smoke/cm detector in the basement, and I think it does have a battery backup. Generators scare me, too.

3. Crystal Robinson, Kidde Says:

This is Crystal Robinson, a representative for Kidde– a leading manufacturer of carbon monoxide and fire safety products. On behalf of the entire company, we are so glad that your family is okay. We would also like to thank you for helping to spread the word on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning on your blog. Many people don’t realize just how dangerous carbon monoxide poisoning is. Not only is it the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, but it is also a colorless and odorless gas. The ONLY safe way to detect it in your home is with a working carbon monoxide alarm.

At Kidde, our mission is to help save lives. This is why over the next few weeks, we will be giving away a FREE carbon monoxide alarm to 50 select fans on our Facebook page (they’re battery-operated, too!). Please join us on Facebook and help spread the word to your friends and family about the importance of having these alarms in your home.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kidde-Residential-Commercial/192274427322

Thanks again for writing such a great post!

4. Smoke Detector Types and Tips Says:

[…] » Carbon monoxide detectors Curtin Call […]

5. Twenty-Four Ways to Save on Homeowners Insurance | Auto Insurance Comparison Worksheet Says:

6. Fire safety for kids Says:

7. Amiee Broadbent Says:

Also, the optical device useful for reading DVDs features a numerical aperture of 0.60 as opposed to 0.45 used for CD-R. So, particular DVD players can’t examine CD-R discs and must be fitted using a dual laser beam being able to study CD-Rs also. Most DVD players can handle reading through through CD-RW, but in some cases, the optical program of the DVD just isn’t sensitive sufficient to study the signal change and lower reflectivity of a CD-RW.

8. commercial alarm systems Says:

oh my god a number of the responses a lot of people make usually are such stoner statements, now and then i question whether they honestly go through the material pieces and reports before posting or if maybe they essentially skim the titles and publish the first thing that one thinks of. anyhow, it is satisfying to go through smart commentary now and then compared to the similar, outdated post vomit which i typically notice online

9. electric hybrid cars Says:

Hiya, just needed you to know I have added your blog to my Google bookmarks because of your extraordinary blog layout. But seriously, I believe your website has one of the finest theme I’ve came across. It really tends to make reading your blog faster and easier.

10. Erasmo Hullings Says:

very interesting, learn a lot!.

11. Leah Cheatum Says:

Well, I am quite interest in your domain. If I set up one website using this domain, I can earn 100-200 USD daily. Your domain is really good. If you don’t want to sell this domain, I can cooperate with you on the condition that you share 50% revenue with me. 😛

12. Hartford Dodge Says:

We need to be very careful while buying a car and should always consult experienced people. I own a chrysler and got it from a local dealer at a very good deal.The car has great interiors and I have absolutely no complains about it till date.