Aquelah’s Podcast – The Illusion of Control

Based on our Fab5 group topic, I’ve created a podcast on the illusions of control and why we should choose to explore the topic despite the idea that control is never really achieved.  Download my podcast.

1. rebeccanesson

November 16, 2006 @ 7:09 am

1

Very nice job Aquelah. Your argument empathizes well with a person who wants to get serious work done in Second Life and is being disrupted by interruptions and other problems beyond her control. You clearly get the empathic argument idea. I was hoping as you told us about the ways that griefers can disrupt that you were going to tell us a way to be sure we could handle it, even though the whole premise of the podcast was that control is an illusion.

I heard two themes in your podcast, one of which I would like to hear more about. One was about the ability and reasons to exert control over external forces like griefers. The other was more latent, but was the ability and reasons to exert control over forces within the collaboration. Although it may be necessary for us to protect ourselves from outside disruptions, I guess I still buy the illusion that we have more ability to control the disruptions that come from within and I’m very interested in figuring out how to do that.

A lot of what we are doing in Second Life this semester is experimenting with how to interact in a new social environment. We’re under some pressure to figure out a reasonable way to do it because we’re demanding of ourselves that we actually get serious work done and if we can’t figure out how to do it, we’ll end up spending way way too much time. You’ve identified one of the key things that is troubling to people about this: the move from a well-understood social situation to an unexplored one is very unsettling in terms of our sense of personal control. It would be interesting to hear more from you about how to handle our sense of loss of control even in situations like having a small group meeting where no griefers are present.