Jessica Clark – in favor of safe sex education

Download the mp3.

1. John Lobato

November 27, 2006 @ 12:04 am

1

This is a really interesting topic–my question after hearing it is that why can’t the parents of the children teach them? Is it because they aren’t qualified? It seems like an issue of choice, right? And each side claims that there is a choice–the choice not to have your kid in public school where it is taught or the choice to teach it to your children outside of school. Maybe it is really about just about the way it is taught instead of whether or not it is taught…?

2. jclark

November 27, 2006 @ 5:51 pm

2

My point is that safe sex should be taught in school so that all kids get correct information for health reasons. If only some kids get the information, it may or may not be effective since these kids may one day interact with kids who do not. Or the kids who receive incorrect inormation may pass it along. I tried to make this argument based on how doctors are selling HPV vaccinations to parents. HPV is an STD that causes cervical cancer and there are some conservative religious groups against giving the vaccine to young girls because they fear it will promote promiscuity. But the states support it anyway and it is considered to be a part of the vaccination schedule now and receives government funding, because it is seen as a health issue and not a sex issue. In my final project, I wanted to try to tie this idea that safe sex education is like this HPV vaccine in that it is meant to prevent illness. Then hopefully it would get more support from parents currently opposed to safe sex ed, and eventually the government.

I am not against parents teaching kids individually, in addition to the standard health education they would get at school. But like I said, it is pretty important that all kids get the standard health info or else its not as effective, since STDs involve interaction between people.

Here is a link to an article that I read while I was formulating my idea: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/30/health/30vaccine.html?ex=1309320000&en=73611cb06d9b311d&ei=5090