Legalized Suicide

Chris Walsh’s podcast on why suicide with some safeguards should be legal for adults.

Download 

1. John Lobato

November 26, 2006 @ 11:49 pm

1

I really liked the topic and I think that you do a good job of empathizing with the other side of the argument. I like it a lot. Really changes perception.

2. jkrop

November 28, 2006 @ 12:57 pm

2

First off, I feel the need to point out that your podcast is boosted immeasurably by the fact that you have a voice like Darth Vader. Professor Nesson, Professor Nesson, unfair genetic advantage!

On a less idiotic note, you did a fantastic job infusing your argument with a compelling nobility, almost a sense of moral imperative. The way you framed your arguments made them very inviting–I felt myself yearning to join the side of compassion and fairness, to fight on the side of right. However, I thought you could have empathized a little more with the other side. The people you’re going to need to reach are perhaps unlikely to be soothed by the idea that some safeguards will be in place to ensure that suicide is only used knowingly and intelligently. Many of them are people who hold the opinion that suicide is morally wrong, plain and simple. I’m not sure that it will convince them to counter that, actually, it’s morally right. In fact, they may read into your argument an implication that someone who feels otherwise is not a caring person, and this may raise their guard. Then again, I’m not sure what would convince someone, so a fat lot of help I’ve been. All in all, a well-delivered and extremely compelling argument on a difficult topic. Kudos to you, sir.

One love,
    Jon