Laptops in class

Check out my podcast here. Note, the podcast is not 4.5 minutes long.

Laptops in the classroom can prevent people from engaging at the premier echelon beloved by professors, and encourages the student not to provide attention to the important issues at hand in the classroom. The problem the technologies of laptops bring with them can shift attention away from the material at hand and towards the material unrelated to the class dialogue and lecture. People are inclined to misuse the freedom to bring a notebook computer with them to class; they use it to check email, shop for Chanukah gifts, and play solitaire and the technology then constructs a vast quandary for the professors and teachers of the world. In addition, the technology of laptops in the classroom evenly builds a superior crisis for the institutions and the students therein because the students are learning less and walking into an icy world more detached from them then a kind, caring professor, which will ingest them if they are not prepared. Only a professor who genuinely cares about the well-being of the students would make this mental note about laptops in the classroom and attempt to save the students from a pitfall of failure in the real world by saying, “no laptops are allowed in class.”

These truths dismantle the ability for someone to see the value of a laptop in class – but the usefulness of a laptop in class does subsist. Even though students play solitaire, mind-sweeper, and use Wikipedia instead of focusing on the important issue of the class, the studentry then learns an important lesson, the lesson of choice. Self-rule and choice go hand in hand with the relationship amid the technology of laptops in the classroom and maturing. Having technology in the classroom without question distracts the student, but simultaneously teaches them that if they do not pay attention and do not engage – they will fail. However, if they do not have the choice to bring their laptops to class, the student might never learn this lesson otherwise. A lesson that says, if I do not pay attention now, I will fail. Could you not use this as a double-edged sword to teach the student about paying attention while raising your standards instead of taking away a choice because of a personal fear of the student failing in the real world? Will they not need to make the choice to engage later in life? Do the students not need to face the real world?

With the great connectivity the technology of laptop in the classroom brings, comes a great responsibility, but that responsibility takes time to mature – and the technology belongs to the student. Therefore, I ask you professor average Joe to set yourself apart, and teach your studentry to become mature by letting them have a choice. If your classroom was a tent professor average Joe shielding the student from the world and allowing them to feel large, and the door was a laptop. Maybe, like Tao Te Ching says, you could “practice inaction, and let people look after themselves. [while allowing them to]. . . hold the door of your tent wide to the firmament.” Nature then, might take a course, revealing how small the students really are and how much the students need to pay attention.

1. Currants » Laptops in the Classroom

December 7, 2006 @ 6:49 pm

1

[…] Check out this blog about laptops in the classroom  http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/cyberonepod… laptops] . I am a proud owner of a laptop and I use it in almost all of my classes. I honestly can say that I do not use my laptop to search the internet or check my email during class. This, however, is not because I am focusing only on my professors. Purely because I have not set up my PAL campus internet on my computer do I not talk on AIM or check my email in class. It may also have to do with the fact that my classes are jam packed with note taking that I have no time to do anything else. […]