Are Virtual Worlds real or a game? – Lisa Nichols

1. Rebecca

November 26, 2007 @ 5:50 pm

1

Hi Lisa,

Very interesting podcast. First of all, the layering of your voice using several different scripts and discussing different topics is both engaging and disorienting. I think I was able to get a lot of what all the voices were saying in spite of the difficulty of listening to more than one voice at once.

The issues you raise and the points of view you express demonstrate an understanding of empathic argument in that they do echo the different reasons people might have for asserting one or the other answer to the question you pose.

I’m looking forward to reading your topic worksheet to see how you intend to turn this issue into a paper. While I think the question is an interesting one, in some ways the flexibility of the terms ‘real’ and ‘game’ make it hard to pin down the actual significance of the answer to the question. For the paper it will be best if you narrow the question in some way, perhaps by making some meaningful distinction between ‘real’ and ‘game’. What I mean is that you’ll want something of importance to turn on the distinction between whether virtual worlds are ‘real’ or ‘game’. And you’ll want to be able to make an argument about which they are, or about how to divide them (or aspects of them) into the different categories. (Perhaps some aspects of SL will be game aspects and others will be real aspects.) Basically what I’m saying is the that question for your paper should be more than academic — something of significance should turn on how you choose to answer it.