One Man’s Trash… by Nicholas Lamphere

One Man’s Trash is Another Man’s Research Project:

Recycling in Second Life

nicholaslamphere.mp3

1. Rebecca

November 28, 2007 @ 12:13 pm

1

Hi Nick,

I’m concerned about this project perhaps because I’m having a hard time seeing how this podcast addresses my point of view. I am a recycler in RL because I consider it to be an important environment-preserving duty. I do not see why I need to recycle in SL. First of all, I have not noticed a particular problem with object clutter in SL. There are few places where objects are not automatically returned to their owners after a specific period of time. Landowners have full control over the objects on their land, so they can return them or delete them if they determine that they have been abandoned. This is what I do on my own land if people leave stuff around for too long. There is no shortage or environmental concern in terms of access to raw materials — no forests are being cut down or synthetic plastics being made. There are no landfills filling up with discarded materials. And there is no clear way to turn a discarded object back into its raw material components for reuse. Given this, it is hard for me to see why I would want to participate in recycling in Second Life or why I would be glad that others were doing it. I would much rather have people spend their time on RL recycling or working to improve the RL recycling system than spend time setting an SL system. Your podcast does not acknowledge or address these concerns.