Conning can

Just in time to supplement a recent discussino about modal auxiliaries and their many combinatinos, I see that Scots, at least as Stevenson writes it in Catriona, can do a nifty thing with “can” which I’ve felt the lack of many a time. I’m stuck with the lame “be able to” in these situations… Examples:

—–
“But I will be honest too,” she added, with a kind of suddenness, “and I’ll never can forgive that girl.”

—–
“I canna lee, Alan, I canna do it naitural,” says I, mocking him.

“The more fool you!” says he. “Then ye’ll can tell her that I recommended it…”

—–
“If it is so – if it be more disgrace – will you can bear it?” she asked, looking upon me with a burning eye.

—–
It was Catriona that spoke first. “He has sold you?” she asked.

“Sold me, my dear,” said Alan. “But thanks to you and Davie, I’ll can jink him yet.”

—–

That “jink” in the last quote is awful close to “juke” as in football. Our American dictionaries are losers here. DARE doesn’t even have it, but I guess it’s not Regional so I forgive them. The American Heritage Dictionary thinks “juke” comes from a Middle English jowken, “to bend in a supple way”, but doesn’t adduce a word of support for this. So much for them.

But Merriam Webster must’ve farmed this one out to their most junior lexicographer:

Main Entry: juke
Etymology: probably alteration of English dialect jouk to cheat, deceive
Date: 1967
transitive senses : to fake out of position (as in football)
intransitive senses : to juke someone

It seems much more likely that the source of “juke” is the Scottish “jouk”, which has been around for a huge long time. The first citation in OED is from 1512, Douglas (he’s also the first citation for lots of other Scots words): “And jowkit in vnder the speyr has he.” Aw yeah, that’s how you brawl! In 1894, one “Crockett” has “Every sodger at first tries to jouk the bullets.” And so on.

It would also be a confidence-builder if M-W could get straight on the respective meanings of “transitive” and “intransitive”.

Incidentally, “webster” originally meant “weaver”. Like pollster but with a webs instead of polls. Hooray! “Oh what a tangled web we weave…” And since you asked, no, “spinster” doesn’t have anything to do with “sphincter”.

A word which rhymes with “weave” is “deave”, more Scotticism and yes it’s in Catriona, meaning “to deafen”. It usually shows up paired with “din”, as in, “Eh, shutuppa you face! Yer deavin’ me with yer din!”

12 Responses to “Conning can”

1. Freeda Swetnam Says:

List of Tiger Woods News

2. YOUTUBE Says:

Take a look at the funniest You Tube videos you’ve ever seen at http://hollywoodaspiration.blogspot.com/2010/03/aerostat-video-hollywood-derrick.html

3. youtube Says:

See the best youtube movies on the planet at http://videobefriending.blogspot.com/

4. kyxiolcyfu Says:

I amhaving a hard time reading bolgs.laws.harvadr.edu in Safari 8.2, just thpuhht I wolud tlel you abouty it?

cick here

5. zfivallzyq Says:

I can’t read blogs.law.harvvard.edu in Operra 1.9, I just thougyt I might let you know?

thgis link

6. Colon Cleansing procucts Says:

This is one of the most astounding blogs Ive read in the incredibly extended time. The amount of data in here is breathtaking, like you practically wrote the book on the subject matter. Your webpage is fantastic for anyone who wants to fully grasp this subject much more. Wonderful stuff; please maintain it up!

7. Colon Cleanser Reviews Says:

Among many articles I have read about colon cleansing in I found this one is more interesting than the others.

8. Carolyne Gacek Says:

Ultimately, I founded the know-how I was hunting out for. We have now been keeping out homework on this subject, and for four nights I preserve obtaining web-sites which are intended to possess what I am hunting for, only to be disappointed employing the don’t have any of what I wished. I wish I could have observed your internet site sooner! I had about 25% of what I utilised to be in have to have of and your site has that, plus the rest of what I crucial to end my researching. We have activated to this site appropriate here I like which you will discover original post written content that you’ll be able to hardly uncover elsewhere. One particular good factor, you probably can receive nevertheless these types of weblogs, make certain you go on! I can no for a longer time see the preferred media. It can be there a great deal rubbish printed, I bear it no considerably more swiftly. A certainly pleasant website and good write-up. I shell out nights inside the world extensive website studying blogs, about tons of many subjects. I should initial of all give kudos to whoever established your websites and 2nd of all to you for composing what i can only describe as an post. I honestly feel there is a potential to writing content articles or website threads that only a couple of posses and frankly you may have it. The mixture of insightful and superb written content is definitely extremely rare employing the huge quantity of web round the on the net world.Usually hold a incredibly good give good outcomes!

9. propecia Says:

Yes, I like this site, always something usefull, propecia

10. pandora beads Says:

Hi, i found your website via bing. it’s pretty great. i may come back again. thank you

11. Francisco Stanbrough Says:

Man I love this article and it was so informational and I am definetly going to save it. I Have to say the Indepth analysis this article has is greatly remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Bravo. Just one more tip you shouldget a Translator for your Worldwide Readers !

12. dfgfgf Says:

I’ve been studying your entries throughout my morning holiday, and I must admit the entire article has been very enlightening and really well written. I assumed I might let you know that for a few reason this weblog does not view smartly in Internet Explorer 8. I want Microsoft might prevent converting their software. I’ve a query for you. May you mind changing blog roll hyperlinks? That would be truly neat!