“Or Clog Their Beaches With Our Dead”

I was alone at a beach-house at Wareham on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Walked along the beach in the evening and morning. An interesting beach. Lots of rounded little hunks of red granite strewn about. Some unfortunate shelled creatures had been dragged too far ashore by parasitic-seeming kelpy plants attached to their shells, and stranded high and dry by the receding tide.

Along some past high-tide mark, there was a whitish line — a heap of shells, almost all of the same kind. Some sort of snaily creature without the will for much spiraling. The shells were shaped almost like half of a bivalve’s, but with part of their bottom blocked off to make a cozy little house for the snail creatures. This shell-heap (which stretched out of sight along its tide line) was about eighteen inches wide, triangular in cross-section, rising to a height of some nine inches in the middle. Lots and lots of shells!! I wondered what snail plague, or plaguey weather, brought them all ashore at the same time.

And I’ve had a word tickling at me since — a word which denotes ground-covering of crunchy shells and such along a beach. A nice onomotopoeic word, if I remember right, sounding just like a footstep crunching the shells. I can’t bring this word to mind but I’m pretty sure I ran into it once. Please tell me if you know it!

8 Responses to ““Or Clog Their Beaches With Our Dead””

1. e. Says:

I don’t suppose any of these are what you’re looking for:
    http://labs.google.com/sets?hl=en&q1=sand&q2=mud&q3=dirt&q4=beach&q5=shell&btn=Large+Set

Using just “sand” “mud” and “dirt” gave me some strange matches:
    http://labs.google.com/sets?hl=en&q1=sand&q2=mud&q3=dirt&q4=&q5=&btn=Large+Set

2. Desultor Says:

Nope, the word I’m looking for is literary, I think – too much so for Google sets.

Nice results with sand mud dirt!

Looks like the shells in question were probably slipper limpets, crepidula fornicata. More or less slipper shaped, I guess.

3. Desultor Says:

I’m afraid I may have been overshooting – I think the word I had in mind was probably “wrack”. One of its less common meanings is “seaweed and junk washed ashore”. See this quote. Even though it doesn’t mean what I was remembering, I think “wrack” is the word. For one thing, words from this book stick in my head for some reason, more than other books. For another, note that Stephen’s walking along a “strand” here. Could this be priming for my using “stranded”, or for noticing it when I used it?

4. halo 3 Says:

Thanks for making the sincere effort to explain this. I feel fairly strong about it and would like to learn more. If it’s OK, as you attain more in depth knowledge, would you mind adding more articles similar to this one with more information? It would be extremely helpful and useful for me and my colleagues.

5. Virginia Schmith Says:

Man I love your article and it is so fabulous and I am definetly going to save it. I Have to say the Indepth analysis you have done is greatly remarkable.No one goes that extra mile these days? Well Done!! Just one more tip you caninstall a Translator Application for your Worldwide Audience .

6. Arnold Brown Says:

Really like your web site! Undoubtedly a beautiful provider of knowledge that is extremely helpful. Stick with it and that i’m gonna keep reading. Cheers.

7. Tulip Green Says:

Hey – nice weblog, just browsing around some blogs, looks like a pretty good platform you are using. I’m at present using Drupal for a couple of of my websites but looking to change a few of them over to the identical platform as yours as a trial run. Something in particular you would recommend about it?

8. Dianne McTavish Says:

Thanks for taking the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If doable, as you acquire expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with further information? This can be very useful for me.