Defending Dilettantism

I have recently been called a “dilettante”, an appellation I accepted with mixed pleasure. But I’ve converted this feeling to full-on unadulterated pleasure by means of my patented method of twisting meanings. Here’s the precept of this method: only the vulgar concern themselves with the “meaning” of a word. A word does not have a “meaning” in itself — there’s just a social arrangement concerning what one should understand it to mean. As the social arrangement changes, the meaning changes.

The application? “Dilettante” is in itself not a negative word. It’s the Italian present participle of dilettare, to delight. So a dilettante is literally someone who is taking delight in something. This is a word we dilettantes can reclaim, as expressing one of the best things one can do. If you’re a dilettante, you’re not just working on something for money, or recognition — you’re working on it because you love it. An obviously similar case could be made for amateur.

OK, we’ve justified our actions: now we get to have fun. Dilletare comes from the Latin delectare. This comes straight into English as “delect”, but nobody uses that one. But in old French we see delectare becoming delitier – let it hop over the Channel and presto! the English word “delite”, spelled “delight” by the vulgar. These words are kissing cousins with “delicious” as well.

But back to the Italian – do we get anything else of interest from dilettare? I am so glad you asked, because according to the Lexicon Balatronicum, the Italian diletto comes into English in another form, viz. “dildo”. This etymology may have been stolen from Bailey — I gots no copy so I can’t tell. In any case, Richard Burton, as learned and sloppy a scholar as anyone, borrowed it for his translation of the “Arabian Nights”, so it’s good enough for me.

The Lexicon Balatronicum also mentions that another Italian word for “dildo” was passatempo. Unfortunately there’s no record of English “pastime” or its loser variant “pastance” ever taking on this meaning. Oh, the snickering I could have done!

40 Responses to “Defending Dilettantism”

1. e. Says:

Excellent derivation! Who called you a dilletante? I’ll have words with that unknown assailant.

I recall Brian Eno, who in an appendix in “A Year With Swollen Appendices” comes to peace with the word “pretentious,” a word that “is used negatively, especially in Britain, where it has the sense of ‘rising above one’s station,’ of trying to do something to which you had no right. I am glad to have attempted something which I had no right to attempt…” This in the midst of some text describing the idea of “taking the waters” (attending a spa) as a universal (and placebonic (?)) cure in Victorian times–and comparing such a placebo with electronic music. Smashing guy, that Eno.

I applaud your reappropriation of “dilletanterie” in the same spirit!

2. Desultor Says:

E., thanks for the story! I can now happily call myself pretentious, instead of with mixed feelings as before.

This person is the one who called me a dilettante. Go to it!

3. Erin Says:

Before you sick your cronies on me, keep in mind that I’m the biggest fan of your various intellectual endeavors. I think you should continue to plunge (head first) into the shallow end of a thousand obscure disciplines and ideas rather than get bogged down in just one topic. You never bore me. And I bore easily. It’s true.

4. TJN Says:

I assume I won’t receive a response to this comment as it would appear your blogging is complete. I also imagine it’s quite presumptuous of me to comment on a stranger’s blog.

However, presumptuousness aside, I am making my attempt. I wanted to commend you on your further defining a sometimes derogatory stereotype. You see, I too am donning a scarlet “D” and am currently formulating a trivial “Apologies for the Dilettantish.” I had done a google search of “appellation and dilettante” hoping to pull up some significant historical dabblers when I came across your blog.

I admit I have an ulterior motive in contacting you. It is a question I hope you can shed some light on. I am but a lowly undergraduate with my eyes set on the hallowed halls of law school. As of late, I have been a bit concerned with my dilettantish stereotype. You–a fellow dabbler–obviously are enrolled in our finest! Would you be kind enough to perhaps share you own experience as a dilettante subverted to the demands of the rigorous curriculum of the juris doctorate?

Thank yo

5. TJN Says:

Oops.

Re: “Thank yo”

Thank you in advance for any time or assistance you can provide me.

6. desultor Says:

Hi TJN,

Glad to have your comment!

I’m afraid I’m not an HLS student. However, I spent some time there as an employee, and got a sense of the student body. I’d say that being a generalist needn’t be a block to studying there, or probably any other law school. Getting a J.D. is a lot of work (though I don’t know if it’s necessarily any more at HLS than anyplace else), and does require some dedication and focus. But people with broad interests will improve any academic setting they’re in, and not many of the students I met at HLS were single-minded drones.

So, I’d say go for it! Best of luck in your endeavors.

7. Nancy Says:

Showing some love to this topic “new to this wordpress”. I defiantly agree with it also. If you really think about it than it all makes alot of sense

8. Thibert Says:

9. Cannan Says:

Future City Plus is the leader In designer eye wear and brand name Beauty products. All the products we sell are 100% authentic ! Check us out at http://futurecityplus.com/ our prices are at wholesale prices! So shop now. Designer Eye Wear

10. Brar Says:

Hello ,
    Thank you very much this beatiful information.

Best regards,

-plc-

11. mortalonline Says:

cowboy boots

12. Nokia Says:

Nice post! More info pls

13. Gores Says:

Interesting read . . . I think I’m going to write a semi-reply on my blog but I’ll link back to yours

14. Bachman Says:

It’s so cool, thank for your post

15. Mimes Says:

very very thank i like this http://www.pornhubtr.com

16. Salmons Says:

I think that we all must agree that this is something to thing about. bygg sk?ne

17. Hurrle Says:

Great post! Lovely!

18. Lew Says:

Many thanks for sharing this great article. Please keep up this blog as it’s one of my favorite blog in my reader, thanks 🙂 http://astore.amazon.de/apple-ipad-21

19. Mcandrew Says:

Digging this site,Just signed up for your rss feed. Looks like a cool place to hangout! Like Cool Gadgets check this out!

20. Stady Says:

Your comments are pretty informed and helpful. Have you considered writing professionally? Like a periodical or something?

The Information Broker
    Income for Life.

21. Schisler Says:

Can you imagine that Kyrgizstan people are killing each other just for the sake of taking the governmant. That’s pretty awful to see that this still might happens nowadays. How this can happens? Can’t believe that hey really doing it… ???? ?? ???????

22. Cangelosi Says:

Hi, interesting… regarding work at home online jobs; People do not feel the need to take up regular jobs anymore . Why? Don’t worry, join Happy 🙂 http://bit.ly/9Vtdff

23. Okafor Says:

deneme deneme deneme

24. jJuLiAa Says:

herzlichen glueckwunsch Thank

25. Sinkfield Says:

?It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.? – Albert Einstein

26. Brightman Says:

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

27. Pregnant Gal Says:

OMG! That is a beautiful story. Thanks for writing

28. Canizares Says:

Need to tell my friend about this because I really enjoyed it.! Should bookmark this!
    Mind to visit me? Any comments are appreciated. Ragnarok Online Guide

29. Provenzano Says:

cool picxxs

30. Dias Says:

Hey, Thanks for sharing this. I would like to tell you, This is extremely wonderful and I really liked it.
    I always like to read on these topics and one of the best thing is that,
    I am looking for this from a long time. Thank you for this again.

Rajnish Kumar

31. Nishida Says:

cool picxxs

32. Asher Says:

cool picxxs

33. Mallow Says:

cool picsxx

34. Carrara Says:

cool picsxx

35. Erich Chase Says:

Hey, Thanks for this nice post.
    I just found this blog and it seems very interesting, I’ll have to read past posts to catch up with other followers I guess : )

36. Molly Stramiello Says:

I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to achieve my goals. I absolutely love reading all that is posted on your blog.Keep the stories coming. I loved it

37. Rickey Benson Says:

Man I love this post and it is so good and I am gonna bookmark it. I Have to say the Indepth analysis you have done is trully remarkable.No one goes that extra mile these days? Well Done! Just one more suggestion you caninstall a Translator for your Worldwide Audience !!

38. Mcenaney Says:

muhte?em yuzy?l harika bir dizi ?ok yak?nda ba?l?yor

39. Dorothy Allen Says:

I stumbled upon this good of your stuff from pure luck and not believe that it is lucky enough to express too as credit you to obtain a fine.

40. Andrew Simpson Says:

I needed to thanks for this nice learn!! I undoubtedly enjoyed each little bit of it. I’ve bookmarked you to take a look at new stuff you publish